11 September, 2006

Am I The Only One?

I'm already having a case of the Mondays. Big time.

And it seems like with the e-n-d-l-e-s-s recap of 9/11 stuff today that it's just making things worse.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to forget. I don't think I could ever forget.

I just also am starting to feel that familiar grip at the pit of my stomach and that anxious squeeze around my lungs.

Those days after 9/11 were hard. Everywhere you went. There was NO escape. Typically escapist media--television, magazines, some blogs--were given over to the shell-shock, fear and rumour.

We were only on the edge of one of the ripples, but we still plunged headlong into some really hard times. In fact, while it's been "five whole years", we spent about 3.5 of those years struggling uphill.

All this coverage today brings back the sense memory of what it was like to be at the base of the hill. And I can't figure out why we are doing this to ourselves.

1 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, September 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that the 5 year anniversary is still just too much of a shock.

I would like to think that we are remembering 9/11 only for the victims, but I think this has tragically become political.

For both sides. The media is angry that we are still fighting the war on terror and the left is blaming the right.

The right is using the everpresent threat of terror to score votes.

Five years after D-Day, World War II was over, so why not 9/11?

Still, even though 9/11 has become very highly politicized, the memorials, tributes, and solemn memories of the victims help us keep our perspective on what's really important.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home