28 August, 2006

Don't Look At The Water

Saturday I ate lunch with some very nice people in a semi-spontaneous gathering. One part of the lunch was spent on me complaining (non redhat readers substitute more appropriate "b" word here...) about the general unfairness of life. How it always seems like those who work hard get stuck digging for change in the Blazer's ashtray while those who sit back and idle their way through life keep having society hand them blank checks.

The always-wise John H. summed it up nicely, thusly. "You're basically talking about Ecclesiastes."

I suppose he's hit the nail on the head. Although in truth I'm always less of a Solomon and more of a Peter. Not the good post-Quo-Vadis Peter, either. I'm the namby-pamby Peter who is constantly whining at Jesus, demanding proof and missing the general point of it all. Granted, I do have a lot to whine about these days. I won't list everything out again because I live in Nashville and everyone else has already cornered the market on writing country songs. Which is what my life has become this summer. (On a tangent, did you know that many of the greatest love songs are actually about the death of a dog? Case in point: "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue?")

So the other night early morning I'm lying in bed bawling my eyes out over the general craptasticness of it all when I "hear" this voice. For those of you of the athiest persuasion, I'm not hearing voices. But I promise you that if you are in dialogue with the Holy Spirit you can tell when your being "talked" to. It's a thought you hear in the deepest part of your soul. That's the only way I can describe it.

"Don't look at the water."

And that's when it hit me, early Sunday morning. That all of this--my dog's health, stretching a budget that's been motheaten by unexpected emergencies, continuing pain and all the rest--is the water. Logic says you that you won't make it and that you'll drown. But faith says that you've seen Jesus do it and you are compelled to do it, too. To run childlike across the whitecaps to embrace the Lord.

But if you're anything like me at 4:30 in the morning all you can see is the sea. And I was up to my eyeballs in the green froth of Galilee. The idea of NOT looking seems both impossible and utterly freeing. I've been trying my best to lock eyes on God's goodness.

This is what I've seen since:

--An unexpected meal cooked for us by a woman from our church.
--An unexpected check that will cover a large portion of the dog's vet bill for this week
--Several nice encounters with good people who have cheering words, good jokes and warm hearts


And that's just in one day. I keep telling myself that the grievous circumstances of right now are impossible to live through. And I'm probably correct. But it's also impossible to walk on the sea. But that's been done. All we have to do is keep our eyes on God and not look at the water.

12 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

After a rather craptastic weekend myself, you have NO idea how much your post was needed this morning!! Thanks for throwing out the life preserver!!!

 
At 8:41 AM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Jamie said...

You will be provided for. What a lovely experience for you to have amidst all the bs. I really hope things look up.

 
At 10:22 AM, August 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. I needed that.

 
At 12:46 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Sharon Collie said...

You are being made mature and complete. Sometimes I think about that verse and think "Ok, Lord....I don't really want to be mature and complete, lacking in nothing."

 
At 1:17 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

That was beautiful Kat, thanks. We all need to hear that from time to time.

 
At 4:02 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger John H said...

Not that you didn't deserve those good things, but I think grace is a pretty wonderful plan which trumps so much of the other debris, flotsam and jetsam.

Great post, Kat (and not just because you mentioned me! (o: )

 
At 4:35 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Pink Kitty said...

Yay God.

He always comes through... just when we least expect it but ALWAYS at the right time!

 
At 5:43 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Connie said...

:::nods along with entire post:::

 
At 5:49 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Connie said...

Forgot to mention, I tagged you on my blog today, Kat.

 
At 9:51 AM, August 29, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

That was a beautiful post and something I needed to read. Thank you.

 
At 10:26 AM, August 30, 2006, Blogger digitalcowboy said...

I came over to read this because Pink Kitty said I had to. She's the Empress of all she surveys ... blah, blah, blah.

She was right as usual, though. It was a lovely post.

The hard part of dealing with the hard times is keeping perspective. I don't mean that garbage about, "it could be worse..." That's stupid. I mean that facts do not equal Truth. Our job is to make the facts conform to the Truth when they get out of line.

The cool thing is that He does all the heavy lifting. All we have to do is believe. (Mark 9:23) It's simple but not always easy.

There's no limit to what He can and will (indeed, wants to) do for you except what you can believe. So the challenge to us is to just keep working on our believing until the facts conform to the Truth.

 
At 11:47 AM, August 30, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

I'm very glad that my ramblings about heard but unseen voices aren't too unsettling. ;=p

The funny thing is that I'm glad for myself that I wrote this. I can't count the number of times in the last three days I've had to go back and read it to myself.

This water gets pretty high at times, no?

Sista, I think by the time I'm "mature & complete" I'll be dead. ;=p

And DC, I'm glad you took PK's advice. She is always best heeded.

And thanks for the verse. I needed that today. ;-p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home