12 September, 2006

That Movie, My Movie

I did not watch the controversial 9/11-was-Clinton's-fault movie. I just can't watch 9/11 things. I found that out when I tried to watch Flight 93 on the History Channel on the 4th of July. I felt like a voyeur on other people's pain. I felt angry and impotent. That's probably the same reason I don't watch Project Runway.

Why did they make this movie? Who decides what movies get made? I've been thinking a lot about Michael Rosenblum's speech and it's further ramifications. I have finally admitted something to myself.

I don't want to make little movies with small cameras. I never have. I enjoy watching those things (Blake, I'm talking to you) but they aren't all of what I want to see. If Mr. Rosenblum's revolution means a steady diet of low-budget vids, I'm afraid I'll have to pass.

The Walter Mitty in me has always had a dream to produce a grand epic miniseries of Ken Follett's The Pillars Of The Earth. I've seldom come across such a human story with such a grand scope. Now that we have computer animation, the cathedral at the center of the story would be much less expensive to produce. It could be done, given the tools. Since I ended up not going to film school, I'll just have to content myself with sending messages through the Jungian grapevine, hoping some enterprising movie person will take the ball and run with it.

That's my fear about this revolution. After Guttenberg we saw some of the greatest literature in the world of mankind flower forth. Dostoevsky. Nabakov. Eliot. Shelley. I fear the revolution a la Rosenblum would give us the equivalent of a filmic world full of leaflets.

4 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, September 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking as someone on the edge of the film industry, making movies is HARD. I worked a micro-feature (90 minutes but director financed). The thing cost $14,000+ and the director put it on credit cards. It took months of planning and, two years later, is still not available for the general public to see.

Gutenberg made it cheaper to publish books, but it was still a major financial undertaking for years and years (and is still, I submit, out of the realm of "cheap" for a solo author today).

Movie tech is more democratized today than ever before, but making a "real" film of any quality has moved from the $2,000,000 range down into the $200,000 range

 
At 10:32 AM, September 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoops, forgot to sign.

Jason

 
At 12:48 PM, September 12, 2006, Blogger Pink Kitty said...

Speaking of, I didn't realize that I get current on my digital cable.

I watched some of it last night and after 2 minutes of bouncing around in a jeep to Tora Bora, I turned it back to Project Runway.

 
At 5:00 PM, September 12, 2006, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I have no idea how ABC thought it was a good idea to make a "docudrama" from such a shady source about this horrific drama, but now it seems the people have spoken .. Many fewer people than expected apparently tuned in, so maybe the lesson that we won't stand for this crap will finally be delivered

 

Post a Comment

<< Home