01 December, 2006

The Final Prelude To Ragnarok

The wind pulled me out of bed at midnight. There's nothing like the sound of a freight train rushing fullspeed into the side of your bedroom to make you suddenly a lot less sleepy than you once were.

I'm up in the basement and feeling slightly ludicrous. I'm watching the windspeeds go from "1.0 mph" to "15.0 mph" on my wunderground site. Somehow it feels safer to watch the numbers roll on the computer. The alternative--looking out the window--means watching all the trees sway and chimes dance frenetically. Whenever the number gets closer to the "15" figure, it kinda feels like my house is going to end up next door. The bright side? Any fence problems will seem downright mild compared to waking up with my bed in the neighbours' living room.

I have a feeling I'm not going to sleep much, and I wonder at what point I should hustle the rest of my family down the relative safety of the basement. Is it better to sleep in the shadow of the wolf during Fimbulwinter?

4 Comments:

At 12:37 AM, December 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's starting to chill more here. Soggy rain turning to mix freezing and with snow. Thank God for full time all wheel drive.

 
At 1:18 AM, December 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Running on 3-4 hours of sleep right now because of the wind here last night.

A few weeks ago we had a positively horrendous wind day. 50+mph. I've never seen or heard anything like it, and I've climbed 25+ mountains. It was really impressive. Lots of shingles were blown off houses in our neighborhood (fortunately, not ours). You might want to have your shingles looked at to make sure none flew away!

Jason

 
At 1:24 AM, December 01, 2006, Blogger Newscoma said...

Same thing going on here in west Tennessee.
Woke me up as well because one of my pups is scared and, alas, I'm up with her.
It sounds freaky.

 
At 7:45 AM, December 01, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

That live updating weather underground site is teh R0xor!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home