27 November, 2006

Movie Vegan

Brittney went public over the Holiday weekend with her commitment to veganism. I admire her dedication to her principles, even if I'm not going to follow her actions.

But I will say definitely, without a doubt, I am a Movie Vegan.

I will not see movies about animals. As Grandefille said in the comments to this post, even the trailer for Charlotte's Web makes her (and me) openly weepy. For some reason, every movie about animals seems to involve either the threat of slaughter or outright death. I cannot handle it.

There's something about the death of animals in movies that breaks my heart more than the death of humans in movies. I think it's because the people characters generally do something to encourage and hasten their death--trying to blow up Nakitomi Towers, trying to shut down Dulles airport--but the animals are just innocent and looking to be loved.

I don't see animal movies anymore. The last one I saw in the theatre was Babe, and that was under protest. You can't pay me to see any animal movies in the theatre. The few minutes of March Of The Penguins I saw over the weekend were a dreadful mistake, but one that confirmed my No Animal Movies rule.

The sad part is that I'm beginning to not like movies where an animal is in danger, even if the animal is so minor a character as to be a footnote. My sister and husband were both witness to my loud and long wails about the poor dog whose life was in jeopardy in Pirates Of The Carribean: Dead Man's Chest. My brother had to actually pacify me with his philosophy of cannibalism. How sad is it that I would rather have seen the islanders eat Johnny Depp than the poor doggy?

16 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, November 27, 2006, Blogger Slartibartfast said...

I probably don't even need to tell you, but considering your aversion to animal danger, do NOT see the new Lassie.

I actually loved it, it was one of the best movies I've seen this year, and you can't go wrong with Peter O'Toole. But there is one HORRIBLE scene that will break your heart.

Plus, of course, the entire movie is about Lassie being in danger.

 
At 7:46 AM, November 27, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Yeah, that was already on my "skip" list, in spite of starring Peter Dinklage.

 
At 7:58 AM, November 27, 2006, Blogger Mr. Mack said...

Seabisquit. Nuff said.

 
At 8:14 AM, November 27, 2006, Blogger dolphin said...

I agree. Totally.

Do NOT see "Eight Below."

The Boyfriend likes snow dogs so we rented it. I was in a bad mood the rest of the night.

 
At 8:25 AM, November 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh lordy...don't ever see The Yearling. We watched that one time when Man Child was about 10 and he (who is not overly emotional) did not just cry, he wailed for HOURS. I mean, went on and on with it.

He gets mad when we say "What movie should we watch...how bout THE YEARLING?"

 
At 8:48 AM, November 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah totally agree -- do NOT see "Eight Below". We have a sweet precious siberian husky ... and this movie looked so cute from some of it's trailers. Steve and I were BOTH bawling during pretty much the whole movie.

Isn't it weird how we get upset over something happening to a dog in a movie ... but when people get shot in, for example, Mission Impossible 14 ... I don't get this twist in my heart like I do when a dog is mistreated.

~ Lacy

 
At 9:32 AM, November 27, 2006, Blogger ceeelcee said...

RUABelle and I saw "Eight Below" on a damn plane! Do you know how bad it is to have half a plane bawling their eyes out while the other half that isn't watching the movie wonders what the hell is wrong with them?

They might as well have shown "United 93."

 
At 10:19 AM, November 27, 2006, Blogger Newscoma said...

Ole Yeller scarred me.
Seriously.

 
At 11:07 AM, November 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a MOVIE VEGAN? Oh, you must be so proud of yourself with your moral superiority. How good does it feel to be so much better than me? There are kids in Africa who NEVER see movies, you know. Who will think of them?!

 
At 11:33 AM, November 27, 2006, Blogger John said...

I am a proud supporter of Click and Clack's "Save The Skeets Foundation." Skeet shooters are hunting skeet to extinction, and I think it's high time we put and end to this before it's too late.

 
At 11:40 AM, November 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skeet? I'm a lot more concerned about the nauga.

 
At 11:52 AM, November 27, 2006, Blogger Rob Robinson said...

Kat, are animals at risk in Die Hard? Just curious because I can't remember any non-human casualties in either the original or its sequel.I still have to appreciate the reference to the Nakitomi Towers. Very nice.

Is it me or would purist movie vegans only see movies that were digital and not on film, in order to spare the film? Just a thought...

 
At 1:08 PM, November 27, 2006, Blogger Sonia said...

aww, i'm the same way. I'll watch the movies....but I'll cry so much more easily over an animal in peril. Old Yeller? Forgetaboutit. i'm mush.

 
At 2:53 PM, November 27, 2006, Blogger saraclark said...

I left the movie theater after seeing Babe and told my mom,"that movie just created an entire generation of vegetarians." There's no way a little kid would eat meat after watching that movie.

I also commented to the Other Half this weekend that we could never watch the movie "Eight Below". Even the preview killed me. I'm with you.

Add in "Old Yeller" and "Where the Red Fern Grows" and I am completely done for the day.

 
At 4:26 PM, November 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skip Amores Perros, too. It's brutal.

 
At 4:32 PM, November 27, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Yeah, I had no plans to see "Eight Below" ever. The minute I saw "sled dogs" and "find their way home" I was out.

The original Animal Story that made me hate all other Animal Stories was 'Lassie, Come Home'. I hate "lost animals seperated from their people" more than any other animal stories.

Amores Perros

?Is that the one where Gael Garcia Bernal plays a dog-fighter? I think that's why I skipped it, if it is the movie I'm thinking of.

You know it's bad when I almost walked out of the new Bond flick because they had a snake/mongoose fight...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home