22 June, 2005

Flag Burning

I don't like this. It makes it all that harder to spot the idiots, when they aren't just burning the flag right in front of you.

Seriously, I do think that flag-burning should be protected speech. I don't like it when people burn the flag, but I like that they have the freedom to do so.

I also don't like the totemic nature of the amendment. When we removed God from all spheres of public office, we seem to have begun the process of transferring our need for the sacred to State objects. Render under Caeser.....

2 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, June 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a favorite scene/quote in "The American President" when Michael Douglas, the president, is talking about a picture of his girlfriend, Annette Bening, burning a flag.

"You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil who is standing center stage advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours ... The symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free."

Love that. Great writing.

~ Lacy

 
At 9:23 AM, June 23, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Great writing, indeed. Aaron Sorkin is one of the best writers we've got right now. I loved The West Wing until he defected.

With all the Gitmo chatter going on right now, I feel the need to rewatch "A Few Good Men"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home