30 September, 2005

"Are We Gonna Blog This?"

So, when you go to dinner with other bloggers, that's what everyone is wondering. Are we? Aren't we?

Should I say something witty that I hope the other person will blog or will it come out so excruciatingly embarassing that I'll dread to see it print? When the restaurant doesn't serve any wine, you know your chances of either are option are reduced exponentially.

When you get there first you avoid the Fredo Corleone Chair of Honor. You also get to scope out the exits. There were no ground rules, because even though one of us tried to impose them, I politely reminded one and all that as Libertarian no one makes rules for me. Yeah. I'm just that cool...like Fonzie I refuse to submit to the basic structures of society.

We had much good food, much good conversation. We are all completely miffed at Lost for shoving 10 minutes of TV into two hours. We are all completely in love with Les Dames de Gilmore, which does not in any way reflect on anyone's sexual preference. We all got confused by hearing the real names for the online people, places and things that the others had concocted. Tales of merry days of yore abounded. We all left happy. But my happiness wouldn't last long. Because Ben & Jerry's was totally frigging out of the Wavy Gravy Ice Cream--after I braved the Gucci Ghetto to go to their store.

So I blogged it, but not really. All the participants, save me are quasi-anonymous. And at no point in this post did I bring up the issue of Paul McCartney's Wife's Leg and The Resultant Logistical Amenities.

7 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, September 30, 2005, Blogger Aunt B said...

Fozzie refuses to follow the rules? Hmm. I guess so. I never thought of him as the rebel of the Muppets, but you might be on to something.

 
At 8:54 AM, September 30, 2005, Blogger Aunt B said...

Oh, yes, Fonzie. Should have read that a little more closely.

 
At 9:12 AM, September 30, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

I wondered what you meant. I read the email about Fozzie and thought "when did I write about the muppets? Oh, golly. I hope that wasn't in the response to Bruce Barry. He'll really think I've drunk-blogged THAT!!!"

I felt better when I got the second email.

 
At 9:23 AM, September 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm beginning to doubt your Libertarian street cred, Kitty.

"Libertarianism is not libertinism or hedonism. It is not a claim that "people can do anything they want to, and nobody else can say anything." Rather, libertarianism proposes a society of liberty under law, in which individuals are free to pursue their own lives so long as they respect the equal rights of others. The rule of law means that individuals are governed by generally applicable and spontaneously developed legal rules, not by arbitrary commands; and that those rules should protect the freedom of individuals to pursue happiness in their own ways, not aim at any particular result or outcome." David Boaz, Libertarianism, A Primer

No rules were being imposed, there Fonzie-with-an-anarchy-symbol-on-the-back-of-the-jacket. Rather a common consensus was being attempted as to dinner conversation propriety. For example, I didn't want to talk about late-term abortions while eating chicken on a stick. Mmmm. Good satay, pass the amniotic fluid, er I mean the peanut sauce.

Second, Ben and Fucking Jerry's? Why don't you send your money to the "Let's Collectivize Everybody's Stuff" Fund?

 
At 9:36 AM, September 30, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Dude. I am an EXCELLENT libertarian. I respected your rights to not talk about afterbirth at the dinner table. Respect my rights to enjoy the taste sensation of Commie-brewed ice cream!!!!

Oh, and you just blew your cover, buddy!!!!

 
At 10:15 AM, September 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I respect your rights just not your economic choices. You are funding the diabolical ice cream makers who want to destroy your rights.

I fear nothing. Now, if my car got towed off of Church Street, your innuendo would have some validity.

 
At 10:21 AM, September 30, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

If I didn't know that at the end of the day both Ben & Jerry will be so busy tie-dying their own beards through a haze of mary jane to care about world domination then I'd be worried. As it is now...meh.

I did look for you at Outloud on our way to the appointed meeting place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home