28 September, 2005

Sharin' About Sharon: Vol. III


Girlfriend wants a milkshake. And a cheeseburger. I guess after not eating for two and a half days her body is yearning for the quick protein--vegetarian or no. They did take her off the morphine pump yesterday morning and tossed her a mercy Percocet. She was fine with this until she started walking. Two short trips and by 4:00 she was begging for the morphine again.

I personally think that the main reason they wanted her off morphine less than 12 hours after a major abdominal surgery has little to do with highminded goals like 'preventing addiction' . One of the less talked-about side effects of momo is 'decreased gastric motility'. If you can't discharge your patient until they've moved their bowels (which is a must after surgery), then why give them something that will slow that process down? The generally-accepted standard hospital stay for the type of surgery she has had is 6 days. They seem to want her out of there by Thursday. That's three days. She says she's okay with that because she wants to see her dog. I guess it's good that she can look at the bright side.

2 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, September 28, 2005, Blogger Karan Simpson said...

From one who has also had similar major abdominal surgery, please encourage her not to rush; and extend my best wishes. Thanks.

 
At 12:39 PM, December 02, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Monica Stone and i would like to show you my personal experience with Percocet.

I am 35 years old. Have been on Percocet for 7 days now. It did help the pain but the side effects weren't worth it. I'd rather have the pain.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
nausea, very itchy, racing heart, anxiety, flashing lights(almost hallucinogenic?), weird dreams, tiredness

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Monica Stone

 

Post a Comment

<< Home