01 September, 2005

Going To The Flying Saucer To Meet The Aliens

For me a typical Thursday involves having The House To Myself as Mr. Mean Husband rides his bike all over Wilson County with the Veloteers. This Thursday was supposed to be my writer's workshop, but only because I am incapable of correctly reading the calendar. (Hey, maybe that has something to do with why I haven't gotten pregnant yet. Must check on that....)

So, I decided that I would table my research on the fascinating topic of Welsh agriculture and geopolitics of the Middle Ages for a bit and go check on the blog meet-up. I was the third person there, and as is historic with me at *ahem* geeky *ahem* functions, the first woman. You may not have gathered from the Apple Butter Religion post, but I'm not generally a bar-goin' type person. Not that I tend to wig and go all Carrie Nation (oh! Satan's Fire Water!) or anything. They just aren't my milieu. (The combination of dim lighting, controlled substances and my slight hard-of-hearing often prove to be a recipe for hi-lar-ity at my expense. )

Some People I Met and my Impressions of Them

Mr. Roboto
He was so not made of tinfoil. And I know that the song is by Styx before the band broke up with that bossy schoolteacher guy (can't remember if it's Dennis or Tommy), but I always picture Mr. Roboto with the Devo flowerpot hat. He didn't have one of those either. But he was a very genial host, and very gracious.

Smantix
Or, as I will now call him, "Life of the Party Brian" (His real name is Brian and 'life of brian' just sounded like I copied it and didn't put any thought into it at all.) He's now part of the fun over at Six Meat Buffet, so we can catch him there and not just in the comments sections at Pith, NiT and Nashville Truth.

Roger Abramson
Every time I read Pith and post in their comments, they have that woodcut art of the guy in profile typing away. For some reason I just assumed that was Roger. It isn't. Even though he thinks that we don't need to send Pac Man Jones (I have no idea which football player this is...) to New Orleans for clean up, I think he's a great guy. Oh, and the character's name is Orual. I had to look it up, because he said "Lo something..." and I kept thinking only of Luthien, which is Tolkein. Geek Brain Fart.

Sharon Cobb
Sharon is my Steeleye Span buddy, and I swear she transported me from the bar to a druid meet. She has that whole wise-woman thing going, which is quite cool. I was afraid of the polarity charge were she and Smantix to stand too close during the evening, but alas that did not come to pass. No TimeCop matter destruction took place. Funnily enough, she did admit that she thought I might possibly be agoraphobic. That makes two of us. Regardless, I will try to surpass my homebody tendencies to meet her for lunch in the future. (Not the Jetson's future, just the like in a couple weeks future...)

Sharon also brought her very nice friend Rachel who is a flight attendant for Southwest, a liberal, single and not a blogger, so I can't link her.

Sarcastro
He wasn't limping! It appears that Bobby Flay cut him some slack and he was able to make it in fine form. I enjoyed meeting him in person and apologized for stealing his song. However, I did have to restrain myself from smacking him for talking crap about Harry Potter on my blog. I mean, bleh. He looked nothing like I expected (this was a common refrain in my mind. ) For some reason I pictured him as one of those guys who wears a Tyrolean hat and smokes clove cigarettes while reading Atlas Shrugged.

Aunt B. and the Butcher
For some reason my husband has fixated on her, but he can't get her name right. When I got home his first question was "Was Little Cat Pants there?" Well, she was and we didn't fight about abortion or lootershooting or any of that stuff. We did decide that if we can't bring our knitting needles on airplanes they shouldn't allow stiletto heels either. I then shared with her my theory about how easy it would be to kill someone with a tampon through the eye. Just shove it up into the brain cavity with the heal of your hand. We further realised that as it opened it would absorb fluid from the brain. (Perhaps my mother is right and I do read too many "killer" books) She and I shared many a fun and informative conversation and I look forward to getting together for binding off. (Knitting thing...not lesbian. Relax.)

Brittney
In High School and College I always had these tiny friends that made me feel extra cow-like. Brittney is like that. She's tiny. I did try to apologize for the Donut Harrassment Issue, and we had the pleasure of discussing Holy Roller Rinks. I meant to tell her that I saw a unicorn purse today that she might have liked, but I forgot. I also forgot to ask her about her new dog and when it is coming home.

Blake Wylie
I tried to take Blake's picture with Sharon and Rachel, but it came up totally black 3 times. At first I thought it was me. Then I thought it was perhaps Blake's Slytherin spirit, but it turned out to be Sharon's camera. I felt bad that I couldn't remember Blake's political orientation. That was tonight's equivalent of "What's Your Major?" apparently. Those of us who weren't IMMEDIATELY aware of where the other stood on abortion/lootershooting/taxation, that is.

Chris Wage
Chris was IMMEDIATELY aware of where I stood on abortion/lootershooting/taxation, being as he and I had one of the more retarded pissing contests {he's}ever participated in yesterday. Something about me arguing an unnecessary point, which my husband will tell you just never happens. Ever.

Short and Fat
HUH?!?! This dude was neither. In honor of his incongruous name I am contemplating changing the name of my blog to "Black and Skinny". He does have one of the most interesting jobs in that he works for OSHA and gets to write up code violations. His description of said job--telling people everything they are doing wrong, but not having to offer solutions--makes it sound like my mother's fantasy job.

JAG
She is just so cute! I'm sorry that the main thing I know about her is her overflowing toilet. That's the grossest thing to know about a person. And she's just not a gross person at all.

Well, I had to leave at 7:30 to head back to the Tage Mahal (Remember, Sar...Donelson=old people; Hermitage=crackheads and new money). I'm sure I met other people whom I am rudely forgetting, and I apologize for rudely forgetting you. I'm also sure that I did my Patented Kath Space Out where I just sort of sit back and watch other people interact. (It's like TV, but they're all really really tall!!!) Sorry if any of you felt like that creepy lady was just staring at you. Also sorry for all of the people who thought they were being ignored, when it was really that I just didn't hear you.

At any rate, it was nice to be in a group of people socializing, even if I didn't have a 20-sided die.

11 Comments:

At 12:53 AM, September 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:01 AM, September 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clove cigarettes? That's below the belt.

 
At 9:37 AM, September 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was hoping to go, but I figured I'd kind of get the glance-over-brush-off. It's like being the level 3 amongst the level 50's. ^^

I had to go pick up my son from school and drive back to Hermitage.. which is a nasty drive. A Friday or Saturday meetup would've been cool. I'm curious to see who all these people are. I usually end up doing the same thing at group gatherings -- especially if there are loud, opinionated people floating about. "Where's my shell?"

 
At 10:22 AM, September 02, 2005, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Argh....I am such a loser. I missed it.

But I had Titans tix and went there so I could join the chorus of boos for Pacman when he muffed two punts...

Does that count?

 
At 5:21 PM, September 02, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Yes, Blake, I did. ;-p

Sharon and Rachel seemed rather certain of your evil ways, you being conservative and all. I myself am quite convinced that you are most probably a Ravenclaw.

 
At 5:24 PM, September 02, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

John, we could have carpooled and saved on the $3.39 gas.

Michael, No. It doesn't count. And we're sending Pac Man to New Orleans.

Sarcastro, now that I've met you I realize that you are Marlboro man. But I bet you still read Ayn Rand...

 
At 6:01 PM, September 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, on the Aynster. But I quit smoking for the 43d time on Wednesday. However, prior to that, they were in fact Marlboros.

 
At 8:03 PM, September 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what are you saying? That I'm an alcoholic? 'Cause ifzats whucher sayin' I can just..zzzzzzzz.

 
At 2:55 PM, September 03, 2005, Blogger Stella said...

So, so sad. Did we not meet? Or was it just after I had one (or two) too many beers and it has just slipped my mind?

I was there with Jag. But then she left and I proceeded to drink more beers until about 1a or so. Wasn't feeling too well yesterday.

 
At 10:31 PM, September 03, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Jill, I'm sorry, but we just missed each other.

I did see you, but was so engrossed in S&F's description of his job that I didn't break away in time.

Now you're leaving us. I feel like two ships that pass in the night.

 
At 10:33 PM, September 03, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

smantix,

I'm sayin' your a fun guy. Let's leave the details to everyone's imagination.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home