11 September, 2005

Republican Cooties

There's a lot of talk on other blogs about dating Republicans. It's largely humourous, mixed with a dose of bewilderment and a small modicum of self-disdain.

Another blog goes into great depth about frustrations the author has with points of view generally considered to be conservative.

Well, I tend to be more (like all the way) libertarian in my politics these days. Yet, I'm not getting why we're doing the 2005 version of "eeewwww. You have COOTIES." I mean, come on. Replace "republican" with any other term and the conversation becomes archaic. It turns into something between "I'm actually dating a Chinese man" and "Some of my best friends are black." It reduces a human being to a commodity defined by one facet of their personhood. That's why we hate racism, classism, gender bias and clowns. So anyway, I plead with you. Date whom you will, but date the whole person. And thank God I've been married for 15 years. I don't have to worry about this mess.

3 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, September 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why we hate racism, classism, gender bias and clowns.

You crack me up!

 
At 11:58 AM, September 12, 2005, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

I still think clowns get an unfair shake...I mean that one Pennywise goes nuts and kills everyone in that Stephen King book and it just ruins it for all the good clowns out there who want nothign more than to squirt water out of flowers and entertain people...

 
At 1:59 PM, September 12, 2005, Blogger melusina said...

I don't know, clowns are pretty damn scary.

I married a Greek Republican. Except Greek Republicans are more left than Democrats in the U.S. That kinda makes my head hurt.

Besides all that, it is good dating guys who have completely different opinions about things. Then you get to have the heated arguments that lead to good sex.

Hey, I dated a guy who had 5 fingers on each hand! Imagine that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home