This post was going to be relegated to a comment on this post at Nashville Is Talking. But since I haven't written anything for the blog today and I'm really mad at the guy who wrote the original piece, I'm airing my dirty laundry for everyone here. Lucky You!
My Heartfelt Response To Criticism Of Apple's Marketing
Like we Mac users haven't put up with WinTel nerds' Apple's So Stupid-Windows Is Pretty much Everything games forever now.
Some common ASSWIPE Dozens:
1. You guys have only 3% of the market share!
2. What a Dumb OS!
3. Why should I pay a gajillion dollars for a Mac when I can build my own box out of parts I scrounge from the dumpster and get a better machine?
4. Macs are for graphic designers, little old ladies and stoners. You can't do business work on a Mac.
5. Macs are computers with training wheels.
6. You can't game on a Mac.
7. Jobs stole the GUI before Gates stole the GUI.
So what have we done?
1. Increased our market share with pervasive, highly utillitarian and beautiful products. iPod/iMac anyone?
2. Proven to WinTel users the ease of our Plug and Play with iTunes--the original siren song.
3. Proven that a Mac is a beautiful experience out of the box--and one that is remarkably consistant.
4. Made graphic design simple enough for little old ladies and accessible to everyone. We've proven the ease of beauty in the computing experience. I have run complicated business modeling in Excel on a Mac for almost decade now.
5. Macs are computers for users. Not computers for snotty guys who can't get dates and like to have the Mysteries of the BIOS be the one part of their masculinity in which they are secure.
6. Ever tried gaming on a Mac? You can, and it's easier. The good thing is that the best games get ported. We aren't throwing money into the sewer by playing all of the also-rans that tempt you unlucky folk.
7. Who stole what from PARC Xerox is moot. Gates has made a cluttered mess that can't run smoothly, because he's had to engineer his product for a ream of dumpsterbuilds and multi-brand boxes. Apple has utilised the same GUI idea to give a seamless plug and play experience.
So now all your chips are belong to us. There is nothing standing between you and a Mac experience. Come on. Once you go Mac you never go back. And we are arrogant--Because We Have The Right To Be.