16 January, 2006

Monday's Brief Thoughts

1. So...did Sharon quit blogging or am I reading too much into her last post?

2. I have no idea who the person is that decided to rail against my railing against the Geisha book, but I think they're funny. Mostly because the fact that I'm white seems to bother him/her. And because s/he thinks I chose the quote at the top of my blog out of some random idiocy. Yeah. That's like me. To choose a life motto not because I like what it says but because I think it looks pretty. Dude, just because it's Hindi doesn't mean that I don't know what it means. But allow me to say that I love the fact that you think a white girl can't know Hindi. Who's the prejudiced jerk now?!?

3. I really think that Moonstruck may be the perfect movie. We watched it last night and I was reminded of the first time I saw it. I was a senior in High School and realised watching that movie that the most important thing to me--my core need--is family. That's so politically incorrect these days. Women aren't supposed to want family. We're supposed to go charging ever upwards through that glass ceiling and not care about the warmth of kin. I'm not like that. I was thankful last night to be watching that film surrounded by my family. Such as it is. Ah. It could only be better if the whole thing were in Hindi. Darn white people.

4. I've finally made it through all the Elizabeth George books--save the last one, which I'm reading now. And thank goodness I always read the last page first. Because it seems that the revelations in this one are big. And it seems that a character I've never cared for may be on its final book of the series. Cool. But boy, that Violinist book of hers was loooong and tiresome after about page 400.

5. The best shows on tv right now: Arrested Development (sigh); Battlestar Galactica; Veronica Mars; Gray's Anatomy; My Name Is Earl. I'm going back and forth on Lost. Whoever wrote last week's episode for Adewale's character did an excellent job. And thankfully they didn't need much Kate. I'm also trepiditious about The Office. Okay, I think it's funny, but I don't know if I like Carrell more or less than Gervais. I do think that many of the Carrell bits are kind of over the top, whereas Gervais never really left the realm of the possible. Still, I laugh my butt off at both.

6 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I don't have the sympathy for the Carell character that I did for the Gervais character. I like Steve Carell, but he doesn't seem right for the part. Still, I like the NBC version of the Office (though it certainly isn't as good as the original).

 
At 9:31 AM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

So you went into With No One as Witness knowing ***** would die?!? That is just sooooo wrong.

And I will agree Traitor to Memory was a bit overlong.

Honeslty, as much as I love EG and her books, until With No One As Witness, I was worried she'd lost a step.

 
At 9:49 AM, January 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katherine I am wondering the same thing too about Sharon. I emailed her, but she didn't respond. If she has, I certainly wish her the best.

 
At 6:52 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Lydia said...

#3 - I hate to admit that I have never seen Moonstruck, but I have to agree. Family is it for me. The whole climbing the corporate ladder, glass ceiling, get ahead thing has never clicked for me. I thought that after seven years of prep school that it would just automatically kick in at some point, but it just never has. I just don't seem to have enough testoserone.

 
At 10:44 AM, January 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about '24'?? It is definitely one of the best! You should check it out!

 
At 9:52 PM, January 17, 2006, Blogger Exador said...

Given Sharon's "impulsive" nature, I'm worried it's a suicide note. Seriously, someone needs to get in touch with that woman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home