21 April, 2006

The Da Vinci Memo

I've been attending Church for the majority of my life. And I'm beginning to suspect something.

I think there is a network of ministers or some type of ministerial newsletter circulated. I know that I still get my Gifts & Dec newsletter emailed to me, even though I no longer work in stationery products. So I figure some bright lad or lass has put together a "What's Hot Now" type of thing for ministers to talk about.

Why do I think this?

Because it seems that 80% of evangelical churches are having Da Vinci Code series and seminars. Don't get me wrong--I think this is a good idea. There are a lot of questions raised by the book, and people would like to hear their pastors' takes on it. Of course, the book has been out there for a long time, so maybe their pastors could have addressed it before now. But that's beside the point.

Everyone is talking about it right now. At the same time. I know it's because the movie's coming out soon. But part of me kind of feels like this is the Church's version of a movie tie-in. Since we don't sell soda we can't have Tom Hanks on the Large Beverage Cup, so we do this instead.

I guess both Jamey and Dan got the memo, because they're talking about it, too. I don't think either of them have read the book, though. Not to go all Harry Potter again, but I would implore people to not get into debates about the book if they haven't read it.

I'm not defending The Da Vinci Code as a work of fiction. I think it's subpar but still enticing. You don't have to read it if you don't want to. (That should go without saying, but I don't want Mark Rose to think I'm telling him what to do.)

I just ask that if you decline to read it for any reason at all, please realise that if you get into debates with people who have read it, you are in danger of making Christians look as obtuse as people think we are. There are a LOT of people who have not only devoured the book, but believe it wholeheartedly. Many women who felt disenfranchised from the Church are now forming new opinions based on DVC's concept of the Feminine Divine. This book means a great deal to many people. They have portions of it memorised. If we dismiss the book and the questions it raises as mere stuff and nonsense we risk alienating people. People who are asking earnest questions about the nature of God and Salvation.

Yes, it's a work of fiction. But to many people it's fact. And I think that their curiousity deserves respect.

3 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, April 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Kat. You're obviously intelligent and rational. Keep on like this and I'm gonna have to bookmark you! :-)

 
At 7:47 PM, April 21, 2006, Blogger Dan the Baptist said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:39 PM, April 21, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Dan,

I think you may have misunderstood what I'm saying.

1. I think the book is full of lies, half-truths and misinterpretations.

2. I think many people believe these lies are the truth.

3. I think it's up to us to explain the real truth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home