21 April, 2006

Random Stuff I'd Like To Know

• How do I get the cool "What I'm reading/watching/viewing" sidebar thing? Is it a huge pain to update? Do I want people to know just how much of what I'm consuming is junk? Or will I lie and say that I'm reading deep stuff like The Confessions of St. Augustine?

• Had J.K. Rowling watched Babylon 5's two-part episode "War Without End" before writing Prisoner of Azkaban? Because they're eerily similar. Or maybe I'm nuts. I don't generally care for time-travel stories. They always seem to leave too many paradoxical loose ends.

• What is "the emergent church"? I see various people talk about it all the time, links to it on websites and such. I thought I had it down, but the more I read about it the more confused I am. There are some who think it's the greatest thing, and others who are calling it heretical. Anybody out there have any ideas?

• How can the library lose the copy of Patricia Cornwell's Predator I turned in last week? I know it's a bad book, but there is no way I'm gonna pay to replace it. The irony would be too sickening.

• Is it libel to say that Cornwell's last half-dozen books are crap?

• If you have a livid pink, viciously puckered C-section scar snaking across your abdomen, why would you wear hip-hugger jeans and a halter top in public?

• Do many people in Hermitage not realise that the shopping carts at Target are NOT trash bins? Every cart we tried to take yesterday had someone's leavings in it. Used napkins, tissues, food containers. It's like people are monkeys who can't fling their crap so they leave it in the bottom of the cart. Nasty.

• Whose bright idea was it to promote Botox® injections in the underarm to prevent profuse sweating? And even more strange, to promote this over the grocery store P.A. ? Normally you hear things like "Red Grapes are only 99cents a pound this week at Food Lion!" But not me. I heard an ad promoting the benefits of shooting food-poisoning poison in your pits. This is not the visual image I needed to encourage my food-buying. No impulse items on that trip.

6 Comments:

At 4:41 AM, April 21, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I can answer a few. http://www.allconsuming.net/

This is a site to get what you are reading, watching, eating, etc on your sidebar. I know there are others, I just grabbed the first one I (ahem Ivy) found. I'm lazy like that.

Yes, Patricia Cornwell's last few books have been. really. really. bad.

I can't explain the c-section one. I'm still trying to figure out what posseses people to not realize they won't be standing sucking in their tummies the entire time they the halter/hiphugger combo. I'm tired of seeing butt cracks.

 
At 10:23 AM, April 21, 2006, Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

Do many people in Hermitage not realise that the shopping carts at Target are NOT trash bins?

It's not just the Hermitage Target, either. The worst place I've been to that had shopping cart/trash bins is Kmart in Smyrna. Man, I had to go through like 5 carts to find a clean one. And no, I'm not going to clean out the cart myself. It's not my job. Actually, I think it IS the job of the cart pushers.

Haha, ironic word verification strikes again!

it's icckklo. icckklo, indeed.

 
At 10:56 AM, April 21, 2006, Blogger Amy said...

The emerging church defies definition. No one can come up with a satisfactory answer to your question because the EC resists being defined by theology and boundaries--in fact the preferred term is "conversation."

What you think often depends on your theology and the circles in which you run. Many of the blogs I read are in the Reformed part of the blogosphere, and no one's a big fan of the emergents there.

Personally, I don't really know what to think. I get on rabbit trails reading anti-emergent posts and pro-EC comments and on and on, and I come away feeling as confused as you sound. I usually end up feeling frustrated at the way Christians treat each other and annoyed with myself for wasting so much time at the computer, being more obsessed with what everyone else has to say than with grounding myself continually in what God has to say. you know?

I am generally somewhat skeptical/wary of the things I've heard, but I wouldn't dismiss the movement out of hand as adamantly as a lot of people have--because I tend to think that we maybe can learn some things from the EC even if their theology IS very flawed.

 
At 11:19 AM, April 21, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

I ditto Amy. I was basically going to say the same thing...the emergent church doesn't really know what it is, so don't feel bad!

 
At 1:06 PM, April 21, 2006, Blogger Sam Davidson said...

It seems that those who are 'defining' the emergent church are those outside of it and usually those who think it's 'wrong.' Those inside the EC, or those who call themselves emegent or postmodern, find a home in the conversation. I resonate with the emergent church because I can reconcile the Jesus I read of in the gospels with practical ways to live out my faith. There are lots of websites and books out there, as I'm sure you've found, and some of the emergent communities I admire aren't caught up in what they're called, but rather how they can authentically live out Christ's call upon their life.

Some phrases that have been used (but are by no means the end-all be-all of what it means to be emergent):
1) It's white Christians finally realizing what Dr. King was talking about.
2) It's evangelicals becoming mainline.

Just my $0.02.

 
At 10:02 AM, April 22, 2006, Blogger Jeffrey said...

on the emergent church:

Emergent is but one organization that promotes the emerging conversation. Many (including myself) see a difference in the emerging church conversation and Emergent (with a capital "E", as in organization).

Hope that doesn't further confuse the conversation. Emergent, again, is but one of the many many many organizations world wide that help promote this conversation. However, it is most likely the largest organization of its kind in the U.S.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home