10 April, 2006

Women & Politics: Really, Why Bother?

This kind of 'funny' stuff infuriates me. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be a lighthearted jape. Pardon if I don't laugh.

When I was 11 I started really getting interested in politics. REALLY interested. Ronald Reagan made it seem accessible and intriguing. I attended my first political rally, learned about platforms and planks and conventions and electoral colleges and all other assorted wonkery. By the time I was 15 I had my heart set on majoring in Political Science and going to Washington to Serve My Country. By the time I was 18 I had attended a John Birch Society Meeting, a Young Communists Meeting, met various B-List politicos and received at least 3 plaques. (Wooden plaques with brass nameplates are the Trophies of the Junior Wonk Lifestyle)

Through this long course of events (too much for a blog post) it was repeatedly communicated to me that if you are a woman, the best you can hope for is to have whatever words you say or actions you take be judged only after your appearance is thoroughly dissected. Then came Hillary Clinton.

I know we didn't like her. I still don't. I know we have a lot of good reasons to dislike her. I think her policies are over-reaching and dangerous to liberty. I think she's motivated solely by self-interest and is not a good public servant. But for heaven's sake, let's not talk about all that. Let's just talk about how ugly she is and how she's probably a lesbian and doesn't her outfit look TERRIBLE. We've decided to totally ignore the substance of women's contribution to public policy. It's now solely about style.

I wonder if the men who perpetuate these hilarious diatribes have daughters. I wonder if they've even for a moment considered that they are slapping their daughters in the face.

5 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Rain Trueax said...

Good thoughts but the same thing happened to Gore and then Kerry. Our political thinking seems to be very superficial. Does the guy look like he'd be fun at a barbecue? Like who the heck should care!!!

 
At 4:56 PM, April 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's totally funny. I know you don't like HC, but you know me, I'd vote for a "washing machine" if it had a donkey badge on. : )

I love the new theme.

 
At 8:45 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Newscoma said...

You know, although I'm not crazy about HC and I think she is the worst choice as a candidate for president in 2008, and it would be remiss of me to say I would vote Republican (because these days, I won't) I like what your saying SO much.
I'm coming over here often. You are one hip woman, even though I'd reather drink turpentine than ever vote conservative or repub, I like that your talking about the behavior of politicians and not the parties.
Glad to read you.

 
At 9:53 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Exador said...

Would it be sexist to say she's an evil Succubus, bent on sucking the very soul of the country?

 
At 10:56 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Sonia said...

I agree. But what makes me even more angry than men doing this, is women doing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home