01 May, 2006

Wherein I Come Out Of My Shell And Party

I met Ivy for lunch today. When other bloggers meet for lunch they go to trendy Indian restaurants for things like Clove Samosas. I, however, am low-key. So we met at the Hickory Hollow Food Court. Food courts are fantastic places to meet new people because you can (theoretically) have your choice of a wide variety of things, while not forcing your choices on others. Ideal for libertarians, I might add.

Unfortunately for both Ivy and me, some of the restaurants were closed. Not to judge, but I sort of inferred that maybe "Senor Burrito" staffers were taking part in today's "feel the pain of immigrant labour" festivities. If so, I can definitely say that for about six seconds I missed the idea of being able to have a Senor Burrito Burrito. Then I just spent my money someplace else.

It's both wierd and fun to "meet" someone whom you actually feel you know fairly well. I read Ivy every day that she writes, and she reads me and we email back and forth. So we know each other. But I realised she didn't even have any way to recognise me. Good thing she has pictures on her blog, or we could have both stood there staring mournfully at the closed (for Mexican Labour Day?) Dippin' Dots for hours on end like a sad French comedy.

Let me now say that Ivy is fun and funny, and very cool about me throwing away Myrddhin's Carrot Salad. (Seriously. Does no one eat the Chick-Fil-A Carrot Salad at Hickory Hollow Mall? That thing was ANCIENT.) We talked about her Top Secret New Hawt Job!!!111!!!, Hoosier rednecks, and drugs. I think maybe now the word will spread that I'm a huge stoner. (I guess I should have picked something besides a Dead album cover for this post...) We also talked about what New Yorkers think of Nashvillians, why I'm too darn lazy to make Snickerdoodles and how I'm such a Mac Geek that the books I brought were in an AppleStore bag. We sat and smoked in the Shiny Red Convertible (which I will steal.) Okay. Ivy smoked and I watched.

I had such a good time, and I'm glad that I managed to put aside my introversion for an hour and ten minutes so that I could actually hang out with such a cool and fun person.

10 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, May 01, 2006, Blogger Jamie said...

Ivy is way cool. I had the pleasure of meeting her at Chris Wage's Christmas get together.

You steal the shiny red convertible. I'm stealing Megs.

 
At 7:25 PM, May 01, 2006, Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

When are we going to get to go to a trendy Indian restaurant together?

 
At 7:43 PM, May 01, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Ivy is an introvert's kind of gal. She has no problem carrying the conversation with nods and occasional interjections. Almost two years ago I drove up with Aidan and it was like visiting a friend from college.

 
At 8:52 PM, May 01, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Ivy is way cool.

Yes, indeed she is!

You steal the shiny red convertible. I'm stealing Megs.

I'd steal Megs, but I'm sure she isn't half as fast....

When are we going to get to go to a trendy Indian restaurant together?

Why whenever you like, Richard....

She has no problem carrying the conversation with nods and occasional interjections.

Except that I am unfortunately quite chatty. So she didn't get a word in edgewise, poor thing.

 
At 5:03 AM, May 02, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I understand that, completely. Every once in a while my mouth takes off of its own accord. It's rare, but I'll have these moments, "Is that ME still talking? Crap, it is."

I'm glad you had a good time.

 
At 12:02 PM, May 02, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

So funny, I'm lunching with Ivy tomorrow, in the Hickory Hollow area! Not the food court at the mall, but that was a good idea.

I said over at Aunt B's place that I'd make a cake for ya'll's b-day at this month's blogger meet-up but I'm well known for my Snickerdoodles, would you like those instead??

I'd love to lunch with you sometime, too. But I'm not sure I'd could go for the Indian cuisine thing, Italian maybe? Or maybe we could go to the Cool Springs food court! ;-)

 
At 1:03 PM, May 02, 2006, Blogger Sharon Collie said...

So, is introvertedness an official blogger characteristic?!?!?!?

 
At 2:50 PM, May 02, 2006, Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

BTW, I had a great time, I'll write about it later- everything got really, really crazy all of a sudden. :)

 
At 3:31 PM, May 02, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

I'm usually to be found somewhere in the area of Pyramids eating a gyro (mmmm.... gyro) on Thursdays at lunchtime.

Ooh! First this and then your address. You really make it easy for me to stalk you, you know.

So, is introvertedness an official blogger characteristic?!?!?!?

I believe it must be. Why else would we blog? It's certainly not to Make Money Fast!!!!

BTW, I had a great time, I'll write about it later- everything got really, really crazy all of a sudden. :)

I'm worried now. Perhaps my cRaZy rubbed off on you. Hope all is well.

So funny, I'm lunching with Ivy tomorrow, in the Hickory Hollow area!

You all are two-timing me? That makes me cry. I just KNOW you're going to the Red Lobster.

I'm well known for my Snickerdoodles, would you like those instead??

No. I'd hate to stick Aunt B. with cookies when they're MY vice. Besides, the thought of anyone having to spend all that time rolling the cookies in cinnamon sugar without getting paid makes me sad.

But I'm not sure I'd could go for the Indian cuisine thing, Italian maybe? Or maybe we could go to the Cool Springs food court! ;-)

Ha! You and Ivy are going to the Olive Garden! I've got it now.... I'll meet you anywhere for lunch. But I swear I will get you SAHMs into some curry one of these days if it kills me. Come to think of it....SAHM sounds like an Indian dish if you say it out. We should invent somethink like Sahm Papadams or Sahm Curry.

 
At 3:54 PM, May 02, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

LOL! Actually, I wouldn't mind experiencing Indian cuisine at some point. It's just that lunch with me most likely means lunch with me and at least one child so I have to think kid friendly. Maybe we could meet on Sat. when my husband could keep the kiddos for me or maybe we could double date one night and I could get a sitter?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home