16 October, 2006

Where Your Author's Fashion Sense Makes For Great Comedy

Yes, I know that the bulk of my stuff this week is over at NiT, but that's a totally different type of writing. I think. Guest-blogging at NiT is more like being the wingman for other bloggers. Which I love doing, truth be told. I like sharing the cool stuff that everyone does with a wider audience. It's fun.

But here I get to still be me. And say things about myself that I probably shouldn't say.

I went on a job interview today for a job I really think I want. I thought I did very well by just being myself and making my shy twin stay inside.

But honestly, I wore pearls. Fake pearls. What is THAT about? I'm sorry, world. I'm just not a fake pearl person. Sure they look okay, and probably are more suited to first impressions than my hammered marcosite trinity knot. Every time I wear any of my Celtic jewelry, someone asks me if I'm a witch. † So you can see how I thought maybe it wouldn't be appropriate for a "please hire me" conversation at a staid company. But fake pearls? Will people start asking me if I'm Barbara Bush? Probably. And I'd deserve it.

The other Stupid Fashion Choice was the wearing of suede pumps in the rain. I clearly lacked all wisdom in my fashion choices.

So here I am, going to this job interview for a job tailor-made for me. I'm so proud of myself for being myself and not being too strange. Yet I'm wearing fake pearls, suede pumps in the rain and paisley. I forgot about the paisley. That's a whole other dimension of oh-no-you-di-int. But what can I say? I'm a jeans and sweater gal who likes funky dramatic jewelry that looks like (and probably was) purchased at the Renn Fair. And I did take those "professional woman" classes in high school, where they tell you how to dress.

Of course, both of the people who interviewed me were in jeans, comfortable tops and wearing trendy jewelry. (Less on the guy than on the gal. But he did have a cool wedding ring.) See what I mean about this job being right up my alley?

And in other news, I got to talk to Casey, who seems to be recovering nicely from the sad demise of poor Blogelo. Nice to see you, Casey!


†No. I'm not a witch. But I do occassionally grow herbs and give other people unsolicited advice, so if I were living in the 1700s, they'd probably burn me anyway.

7 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, October 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good to hear your interview sounded promising.

How weird is it that I wore a paisley tie today?

 
At 7:16 AM, October 17, 2006, Blogger Aunt B said...

No. I'm not a witch. But I do occassionally grow herbs and give other people unsolicited advice, so if I were living in the 1700s, they'd probably burn me anyway.

This made me laugh so hard. But buck up! I'm sure they wouldn't burn you. Maybe hang you or crush you with large rocks... but not burn you.

 
At 9:02 AM, October 17, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

Kat turned me into a newt!

(I got better.)

 
At 10:39 AM, October 17, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Well...it's more staid than my current company. ;-p

And I DO seem to recall someone telling me to err on the side of caution. ;-p

 
At 1:45 PM, October 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Staid company" and both interviewers wore "jeans and comfortabe tops?"

 
At 9:57 PM, October 17, 2006, Blogger View From The Lake said...

Yo woman. What 'bout lunch on Saturday?

 
At 1:11 PM, March 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pearls are good, fake or real. So is paisley. And marcasite jewelry. And Celtic jewelry. If you try hard, you can find Celtic jewelry made with pearls and marcasite!

And it is an unfortunate fact of life that wearing suede pumps causes rain to fall, so it's not your fault. Or, conversely, it's your fault entirely.

I've read all those books about what professional women wear. I've bought those books. I am now of an age where, unless job-hunting, I will wear suede boots and jewelry, and even clothing, which look Renfaire inspired, if the spirit so moves me.

I hope you get the job; good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home