31 January, 2007

For Crying Out Loud, Get Renters' Insurance!!

There was an apartment fire in a complex about half a mile from my house last night. 10 families were burned out of their homes, and according to the Red Cross none of them have renters' insurance.

At the risk of looking like I'm blaming the victim I have to implore all apartment dwellers everywhere to get renters' insurance. For no more than the cost of a delivered pizza each month you can have the peace of mind of knowing that if your idiot neighbor in 12-B uses a space heater with frayed wiring you yourself will not be destitute.

I lived in an apartment for 9 years. I know that sometimes that $10-$20 a month can be hard to find, but I promise you'll sleep better knowing you've got it.

And no, I don't work for an insurance company.

6 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, January 31, 2007, Blogger Rachel said...

The apartment complex we lived in in the 'boro required proof of renter's insurance as a condition of the lease. I definitely slept better at night knowing we had it, especially when I found that the neighbor kids were making a habit of lighting things on fire in the breezeway.

 
At 4:10 PM, January 31, 2007, Blogger Slartibartfast said...

Every renter reading this, PLEASE TAKE Katherine's ADVICE!!!!

It's traumatic enough WITH insurance...

 
At 4:29 PM, January 31, 2007, Blogger Malia said...

They practically forced it on us in college and it's hard enough to live off campus and pay rent and utilities + adding insurance on top. But we ALWAYS had it!

 
At 5:23 PM, January 31, 2007, Blogger chez bez said...

Good advice. It saved us over the holidays when our apartment was broken into.

 
At 6:00 PM, January 31, 2007, Blogger Kathy T. said...

Amen, Kat. Although I never needed to use it, it sure provided peace of mind when I was a renter.

 
At 12:41 AM, February 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe there are apartment buildings that don't require it. *confused*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home