16 January, 2007

Lost: Is the End In Sight?

Guess what?

The creators of Lost are talking about picking an endpoint for the show. The best shows, in my opinion, are the ones which keep an end in sight, and are written as though they were a novel. (The Wire, Carnivale, Babylon 5) It looks as though the Lost crew are starting to get the picture.

Cuse and fellow showrunner Damon Lindelof have insisted in the past that they do know what they're doing, that there is a master plan, but that they have to reveal things in haphazard fashion because they don't know how long they have to stretch out the story. By setting a finishing date far in advance instead of following the usual TV business model of running a show into the ground, they feel they'll be able to have a more coherent storytelling approach going forward.


To this may I say "Yes, please!!"

When I first tuned into Lost, I loved it because it had that show/novel feel. I've been vacillating between 'they have to stretch things because the network insists on keeping the show on indefinitely' and 'they have absolutely no idea where they're going with any of this.'

A decent endpoint would allow them to create and adhere to an arc that will hopefully be a lot more suspenseful than the show we've gotten lately.

And yes, I know a lot of people still love it. I'm glad you do. I want very badly to love it. I'm hard on it because I expect a great deal from what started as a quality show. I'd love for the writers to have enough creative control to say that the show will end when it ends.

3 Comments:

At 5:16 AM, January 16, 2007, Blogger Newscoma said...

I'm as hopeful as you are. Although I haven't, what's the right word ... abandoned ... the idea that we've just hit a bad patch on the show I'm going to give a whirl because when Lost is good, it's great.

 
At 8:58 AM, January 16, 2007, Blogger ceeelcee said...

I like what I read in Entertainment Weekly where it points out that "Prison Break" has become a show about prisoners who are now wandering around in the wilderness and that "Lost" is a show about people marooned in the wilderness where most of the main characters are now behind bars.

Focus, people!

 
At 4:17 AM, September 10, 2010, Anonymous watches said...

Replica Chanel watches
Replica Cartier watches
Replica Omega watches
Replica Tag Heuer watches
Replica Bell & Ross watches
Replica Rolex watches
Replica Breitling watches

 

Post a Comment

<< Home