14 January, 2007

What's Shakin'?

Lately I get the feeling that God occasionally decides to turn everyone's life upside down like a snowglobe. It seems like 2007 is starting off with a blegh for a lot of folks I know. People are either out of a job, out of good health or out of a relationship.

I keep hoping that if this year is indeed roaring in like a lion that by the end it'll go out like a lamb. Wouldn't that be fantastic?

Funnily enough I was really at peace with all of the fractured goings-on of my own life until I went to church today. That seems backward, because it seems like church is the place where we're supposed to find solace for grieving spirits.

But when we stood singing Holy, Holy, Holy I was struck by this part:

Holy, holy, holy! though the darkness hide Thee,
Though the eye of sinful man Thy glory may not see;
Only Thou art holy; there is none beside Thee,
Perfect in power, in love, and purity.


I realised that I'm so far from holy, and I feel as though I deserve nothing from a Holy God. Of course, later we sang Wonderful Grace Of Jesus, and even though we didn't do it the rollicking Mennonite way, it did drive home the point that the Wonderful Grace of Jesus reaches me (and is deeper than the mighty rolling sea, etc.) But I'm still stuck in this mire where it seems like my problems--and the problems of those around me--are too big for God to handle.

Yes, I'm mad at myself for allowing my faith to be compromised by mere circumstance. But there it is nonetheless.

I've been really hesitant to write any of this out on my blog because I really like to strive for positivity. But I'm tired in body and soul. I suppose maybe we should have sung Leaning On The Everlasting Arms too.

3 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, January 14, 2007, Blogger Lynnster said...

I am kind of feeling that way too lately, Kat. Very hard to keep up the positivity here. Most of 2006 was just one thing after another for me, I have some hope that 2007 will be better but rather than feeling positive and hopeful, the first couple of weeks of 2007 have been more like a feeling of dread. Here's hoping I'm wrong and we all have a good 2007.

 
At 6:36 PM, January 14, 2007, Blogger Ginger said...

Amen, Kat & Lynnster...

 
At 10:55 PM, January 14, 2007, Blogger Slartibartfast said...

Kat, we're pretty much in the same boat. I was a ball of negativity yesterday, till I was leaving after doing set up at Cumberland Heights. The sing on the archway over the driveway as I was leaving said "Let Go and Let God". That was a V-8 moment for me.

Then, today was an extremely emotional service. To see actual tears from people after songs that we've played so many times that we take them for granted was an eye-opener for me.

I'll post fully about it tomorrow, and I'll continue to pray for eveyone.

Being a Methodist, my song for times like these is It Is Well With My Soul

 

Post a Comment

<< Home