07 February, 2007

LOST Thoughts

Well, we had John Locke, and Rousseau and now tonight we had Edmund Burke.

What's with the Lost writers' fascination with revolutionary philosophers? And when, exactly, will we meet Tom Paine?

Of course, my mind went right to the dark place when we met Mr. Burke. I knew the name "Edmund Burke", yet instead of zooming directly in on the 18th Century Irish Philosopher, I first thought of the 19th century body snatcher. His name was William, though. So I guess we're still on "I'll take philosophers for $500, Alex."

Given the writers' laser focus on philosophers, I'd imagine that the as-yet-unseen "Jacob" is most probably modeled on Jakob Boehme. Then again, maybe not. Boehme's philosophy focuses on the nature of sin, evil and redemption. Those themes are, after all, not very common in the Lost universe.

The word "mittelos" is, as everyone seems to have already pointed out, an anagram for Lost Time. This could fit nicely with what goes on around the island(s), but I recognised the word from my torturous years studying German. I would have translated it as 'poor' or 'destitute', however an online dictionary gives its meaning as 'indigent'. I don't know what to make of that, but I do think it's a potentially interesting twist.

It was a treat to see Calamity Jane (Robin Wiegart), but if I were that lady I'd ask for at least one role where I got to wear lipstick. I've seen her headshots. She cleans up nice.

In another odd association, I need to come to the Internet for clarification. In Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban, there is a man sitting at a table reading A Brief History of Time and stirring his coffee without touching the spoon. Was that the exact same actor guarding the prison and reading A Brief History of Time in tonight's episode? It sure looked like it to me. And yes, I double-checked my DVD of POA. All I can say is that if, indeed, it is the same actor the casting director gets massive props from me for digging that guy up for a massive inside joke.

I do recall fondly a time, however, when there were people on this show besides Jack, Kate and Sawyer. I wonder what it would be like to see them again.

7 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, February 08, 2007, Blogger Kathy T. said...

You get and see so much more than me when I watch it which is why I always love reading your morning after reviews. I was thinking that Ben's daughter might be Juliette's niece until the end when she said she'd been on the island for three years.

 
At 8:10 AM, February 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The actor reading a brief history of time is Rob McElhenney. He's one of the knuckleheads from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

I kept waiting for Jane to call Julie's husband a cocksucker.

 
At 8:58 AM, February 08, 2007, Blogger Kat Coble said...

You get and see so much more than me

Well, thanks. I don't know, though, if I'm actually "getting" anything or if I'm just attuned to the producers' obnoxiousness with their proliferation of inside jokes.

The actor reading a brief history of time is Rob McElhenney. He's one of the knuckleheads from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.


Ahhhh. Thanks. It isn't the same guy. However, I can't help but think they're going to be playing the Madeleine L'Engle Wrinkle In Time card here pretty soon. Between "Mittelos" (lost time), "you'll be back in six months" and the dude reading Hawking, I feel like time tinkering is on the agenda. Which bugs me because there's no science-fiction device which bothers me more than time tinkering. It only worked one time (Planet of the Apes) as far as I'm concerned.

And yeah, we had the same reaction to Robin Wiegart. When she told her sister she was pregnant H added some colourful Janian turns of phrase.

 
At 9:40 AM, February 08, 2007, Blogger W said...

Kathy, I was told that Ben's daughter is actually Roousseau's daughter. I'm not sure if that was revealed at some point or if the person that told me was just guessing.

 
At 10:00 AM, February 08, 2007, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Alex is Rousseau's daughter.

The question now is whether or not Ben is her natural father.

 
At 11:24 AM, February 08, 2007, Blogger Kathy T. said...

That's right... I had forgotten she was Rousseau's. Oh, and I did love that Calamity Jane was on except I thought at first she was Renee Zellweiger. Ha.

 
At 2:26 PM, February 09, 2007, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

I contend had they aired this episode to end the fall run, it would have been better....

I liked it, though I am still not sure demystifying the Others was a good move.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home