08 July, 2005

Darfurthermore

Brittany from Nashville Is Talking has this to say:

I think it is weird that 50 people die a horrific terrorism attack in white, Western Europe and everyone is asked to be "quiet please" and told their opinoins don't matter.

100,000 people are more are raped, pillaged and murdered during a horrific genocide and no one says jack shit. (I've seen no post at PitW about being quiet for those killed in the Darfur region.)


Regarding Darfur I've addressed it here (*archives, June 7)"and will continue to address it. However, I didn't have personal friends in immediate danger in Darfur, nor did I once live and study in Darfur. Ergo, London is closer to me than Darfur, and I write what I know. Where are the posts on Darfur over at NiT? When NiT is covering NOW, why is there no questioning of NOW's noticable lack of real involvement on Darfur? Why won't NOW join the List of Signatories at SaveDarfur.org?

Darfur and London are two seperate stories, both deserving of attention and response.

I think the larger story on Darfur is how many organizations and individuals use it as some sort of trump card in any argument, without making any real commitment. Do I think we should intervene in Darfur? Yep. Most definitely. But then again, I'm in favour of ending genocide wherever it occurs.

4 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, July 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nashville is Talking is a Nashville-centric blog.

If other bloggers in the area were talking about Darfur, so would I. My job is to refelct what the community is talking about.

They aren't talking about it.

P.S. You misspelled my name. No sweat, though, everybody does it.

 
At 11:10 AM, July 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another P.S.

I read your June 7th post and besides criticizing celebrities for not doing more you don't really talk about Darfur at all.

 
At 11:15 AM, July 08, 2005, Blogger melusina said...

I agree about Darfur, I have one post about it on my blog as well (I think sometime in June), and am frustrated at the lack of coverage/information getting out about the situation in Darfur.

Of course why aren't Nashvillians talking about Darfur (via Brittney's question)? Well, I guess some of us are (although in Greece, I will always be a Nashvillian in my heart and when I vote absentee), but I guess since the issue is so easily "swept" away by the media, it is easy to overlook it and not think about it. It is a real shame, in my opinion, because my heart breaks when I think about what is happening there.

 
At 11:27 AM, July 08, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Brittney,

Sorry about the name thing. I do try to get it right.

You're right. I didn't talk about it (Darfur) overtly. I seldom do in this context. But I am today and I will again.

You kind of made my point which is that people discuss things in context, and yesterday's context about London was not the one in which people chose to discuss Darfur.

In answer to your original question at PitW, I personally don't want to be silent about Darfur, because there's been 2 years of that already. An ongoing genocide needs to be handled differently than an acute terrorist attack.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home