18 July, 2005

Harry Potter Book Party (NO SPOILERS)

Yes, I will have a post with spoilers, but this ain't it. So chill.

My observations on the Fort Wayne, Indiana Barnes and Noble Harry Potter Midnight Release Party:


There were more teenagers there than at the last one. Everything you've ever heard about teenagers is true.

On an entirely related note, there were dozens of magazines disappearing down the fronts of pants. The police didn't care, because they were too busy making sure that the hundreds of paying customers lined up without killing one another.

For every $4.95 magazine that went home at a five-finger discount, the Barnes & Noble seemed to have sold $20.00 in impulse-book-buying. Nothing like having a captive audience in your store for 3 hours.

On an entirely related note, there are going to be a lot of people who are reading the latest Jeffrey Deaver book this week.

Getting a yellow "Reserved" wristband with the number "102" on it does not guarantee that you will receive the 102nd book sold. It merely means that you will be able to line up with numbers 101-150 at the Parking Lot Entrance. Had you known this earlier, you wouldn't have spent so much time hiding in the Classical Music section with your impulse book buy.

On an entirely related note, teenagers don't steal any Hilary Hahn cds.

Even though you are not the 102nd book sold, you are still out of the store with your precious cargo by 12:10 am.

If you are visiting your parents, who are decidedly in the 'Harry Potter is Sinful' camp, you cannot spend ALL day reading it, so you miss your goal of having it read within 12 hours of purchase. You DO have it read within 16 hours of purchase, however lame this may seem.

On a related note, it is possible to read a hardback book on the second step of a swimming pool.

3 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, July 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you mean I actually beat your time? Dunno if you've read my blog or not, but I braved B&N for about an hour and was told I'd be lucky to get out of there before 3am. Meh, says I. I got it the next day at Best Buy, strangely enough.
Well, I just _had_ to go and read the first chapter..... 12 hours later I'd finished the beast, making a personal one day record that probably won't be beat anytime soon.
We'll have to email each other and share all the spoilers. heh.

Jason

 
At 10:00 PM, July 18, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

My 16 hours included 9 hours of sleeping, so I don't feel so bad.

Oh yeah, it also included talking to my mother for an hour. Which is like 7 hours in people years.

Just kidding. In case my mom ever reads this.

 
At 10:08 AM, July 19, 2005, Blogger melusina said...

Haha! Poor mom. But I get the same thing. =p

We are waiting for the new Harry Potter, in part because we are moving and have no money and also because we thought we would wait for the paperback. But somehow I don't think that is going to happen, as I am dying to read it. As long as the move keeps my mind busy I'll be ok, but once we get settled I know I'll be on amazon.uk purchasing a copy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home