31 July, 2005

Vanitas

As promised, we dragged Patrick and Lydia to Frist Fridays for Art and Denny Diamond. Unfortunately (fortunately for the other 3 in my party) since we weren't looking to score dates, the whole Denny Diamond scene was a bust. Tim pointed out that Lydia and I were probably the only women there who didn't own every episode of Sex And The City on DVD. Judging by the general demeanor and the loud ticking of a hundred biological clocks, he's probably right.

We opted to stay indoors for a Docent tour of the Renaissance To Roccoco exhibit, and I fell in love.

Apparently there is a specific type of still-life painting referred to as Vanitas. The idea is to feature items showcasing the transience of life, such as bubbles, snuffed candles, skulls and broken pottery. There is a piece on display by
Juan de Valdes Leal that has captivated me and spurred me to discover more about these paintings.

Ironically, as a Warren Zevon fan, you'd think I would have caught on sooner.

3 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, August 01, 2005, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Wait...so if I'm looking to meet women, I should go to the Frist on Fridays? LOL

 
At 2:59 PM, August 01, 2005, Blogger Patrick said...

We totally had a blast on Friday night... and Denny would have been more tolerable inside, I think. :-D

Michael - if you want women who've got every episode of Sex and the City... sure. :)

 
At 3:54 PM, August 01, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Patrick--glad you guys had fun. I know that Coble Good Times aren't Standard Good Times, so it's entirely probable that an evening with two INTJ nerds is far from a hoot.

Michael--trust me. None of the fish in this particular sea were worth missing BSG over. Not that I'm prejudiced...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home