25 August, 2005

Is Firefly Really That Good?

Many of my blogfriends (you nerds know who you are) are way off into Firefly.

It aired two or three years ago on Fox and was cancelled pretty quickly. I don't remember hearing anyone talk about it, and now with the movie coming out, I'm feeling the pressure to get involved.

I love space movies, and have ever since I was 6. I also love Westerns. As far as I'm concerned, Silverado is one of the best movies made. Ever. I used to say there was no such thing as a bad Western until I saw this pretentious piece of revisionist drivel.

Honestly, though, folks. Is combining a Western with Sci Fi a good move? Should I try to get my hands on the boxed set and get a feel for the thing or should I just let this particular fanboy train pass me by?

6 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, August 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DO IT! I think you'll love the series as much as any fanboy/girl. I didn't know a lot about it, thought it looked dumb when I saw ads for it on TV when Fox aired it, and didn't notice when it went away. But I kept hearing people talk about what a great show it was. I got ahold of the series from a friend of mine and watched all the episodes (in order- important!). I was totally blown away.

Wonderfully complex characters in a quirky and well-worn setting. I think it's one of the best examples of science fiction I've ever seen- or any television show for that matter. I would easily put it up next to Babylon V in terms of quaility.

Do yourself a favor and watch the shows before the feature film comes out in September.

Jason

 
At 6:07 PM, August 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to a Media prof I had at IPFW, Star Trek was pitched to Desilu as "a Western in Space."

 
At 8:02 PM, August 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bashing Unforgiven is unforgivenable.

 
At 8:09 AM, August 26, 2005, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

If you like BSG, I think you'll like Firefly.

Get it! Get it now!

Trust me....

 
At 10:00 AM, August 26, 2005, Blogger P. K. Nail said...

I love Firefly. There are only 11 episodes, but I feel as attached to the characters as I have for any show I've ever seen.

And the sci-fi/western mix is surprisingly effective. The idea of space as a "frontier" in the old sense really makes it work. There's a lot of cross-cultural and cross-generational stuff that's just cool. One of the main ideas was that in the future the only superpowers that survived were the US and China. So that provides an interesting mix as well.

Very, very good show.

 
At 12:25 PM, August 26, 2005, Blogger Kleinheider said...

What's wrong with Unforgiven? Granted, Clint should have won all them Oscars for the Outlaw Josey Wales but Unforgiven is a solid piece of business.

If you want to talk about cancelled Fox shows, I got wo for ya: Millenium and Harsh Realm. Millenium is probably to great show ever shown on a broadcast network and Harsh Realm was better than the four episode airing it got.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home