14 September, 2005

Lying In The Bed You Made

Well, Nashville voted down the proposed tax increase "for the children".

I'm in a foul mood. I'll state that right upfront.

Abortion has been legal in this country for more than 30 years. Birth control is being given out at every possible opportunity. In some school systems a condom is more easy to come by (hah!) than a can of Coca-Cola. Yet people who persist in having babies seem to also persist in wanting others to pay for the education of those babies.

Yes, I do realize that an educated and productive populace is good for the country and good for the economy. I firmly believe in education as a necessity. I also believe that a highway infrastructure is good for the country and good for the economy. I support it with my taxes. Yet when I wish to drive on the roads I must also pay a wheel tax. If I choose to drive a car, it costs me $80 a year. If you choose to have a baby and educate it in the public school system, why shouldn't you at least pay as much for tuition as you pay to register your car? Consistently demanding that everyone fully underwrite your child's education seems to fly in the face of the pro-choice movement.

Sure, I realize there are people who are too poor to afford such a tuition. Well, we give food stamps in those cases, and provide free lunch. I'll gladly voucher someone's tuition if they are too poor to come up with $80 a year. However, I'm betting that the majority of parents in the Metro school system can skip a few Domino's Pizzas to pay for their own kids' schooling.

If I ever have children, you can ask me if I've changed my mind. But seeing as how my husband and I both went to private schools (he worked 3 jobs to pay his own tuition) I doubt I will.

11 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, September 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Birth control is being given out at every possible opportunity."

Really? Where? Because I bet some poor women who cannot afford $30 a month for birth control would like to know where they can get some.

 
At 1:58 PM, September 14, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Condoms.

Not the good stuff.

 
At 1:59 PM, September 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, right.

Carry on.

 
At 8:18 PM, September 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My big axe to grind is how this referendum is being portrayed in the media. The Tennessean's headline is "Schools Take Hit As Tax Hike Fails". How is not making an additional $57 million dollars, taking a hit. If you made $57 million less than last year, you would "take a hit". You can only count something as a loss if you possessed it at some time. If my PowerBall ticket doesn't hit tonight, I'm not going to run around and claim I lost 80 million bucks.

That idiot Garcia is running around saying that now their upcoming budget is $20 million in the hole. What? You budgeted with money you didn't have? Is that a loss too? You're going to cut art and music projects because you don't get simple math, Pedro? Here's simple idea, live within your means. It is a good lesson for the kids, as well as those who claim to educate them.

 
At 8:50 PM, September 14, 2005, Blogger Aunt B said...

Clearly Hell has frozen over, as I agree with everything Sarcastro just said.

 
At 9:15 PM, September 14, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Man.

My jaw just hit the floor.

 
At 7:04 AM, September 15, 2005, Blogger Aunt B said...

You know, I was so disturbed by the thought of utterly agreeing with Sarcastro that I had to check back here this morning to see if it wasn't just some effect of blogging right before bed.

But no, there are his words, still making complete and utter sense to me and here's me still wishing someone would let him say that right to Garcia's face.

I'm perplexed. I'm not sure how it's come to this.

But I did have one question for you. Do you think your proposal unfairly affects Catholics, Mormons, and other anti-abortion families? Or would it just be a flat fee per family and not per child?

 
At 9:49 AM, September 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um she said she and her hubbie went to private schools.

 
At 10:07 AM, September 15, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

My parents did go to public schools. I did go to a public school for 6th and 7th grades

B-->
Catholic, Mormon and other baby-happy families know what they're getting into. They still choose to have the babies.

Many parochial schools (which is where a lot of these families end up sending their children, last time I checked...) do have sliding tuition scales. But their tuition is a lot more than $80/year per child.

 
At 10:17 AM, September 15, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Cole,
Not sure what your question is supposed to imply. Is having gone to public schools a good thing for my education or a bad thing?

Just so you know:

Father: K-12 Public school; Christian college; U Penn Law School; Served 8 years on the board of a Christian School; 20 years on the board of a Christian College

Mother: K-12 Public school; Christian college; Indiana University Grad school; Taught 13 years in public schools in New Jersey and Indiana. Taught 20 years in a Christian School to help pay our tuition. (Teachers' kids get a discount.)

Me: K-5 Christian School; 6,7 Public School; 8-12 Christian School; Some Christian college, some college Indiana U., some college MTSU

Husband: K-8 Public School; 9-12 Christian School which he worked 3 jobs to pay for himself.; Christian College; MTSU Grad School.

My sister teaches in a public school now.

Basically all of us have experience with both forms of education to a degree. We are well aware of the positives and negatives of those types of education but have fared far better OUTSIDE the public school system. Even though in most cases it has presented a financial hardship. I grew up in a family that scrimped and saved to send its 4 kids to private school while still paying property taxes that supported the public schools. I don't understand the families who think that cable television is more important than education.

 
At 2:28 PM, September 15, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Cole,

Did you read all of what I wrote? Because if you did you'd see that I too am happy to HELP pay for the public school system.

I'm just not delirious about being the constant go-to source for capital. I think if you have kids in the school system you should pay MORE than the people who don't.

Oh, and in the public school systems where my parents went, they had to buy all their own books.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home