14 September, 2005

Would You Laugh At This Man?

Even though Tim and I do almost everything together, early on in our relationship he came to the realization that I would not go all the way with him. All the way in this case means listening to Prairie Home Companion. For years he has had to huddle quietly with the radio in the den or the car hole to get his fix of Lutheran Humour. [Oxymoron Alert!] Whenever I am unable to escape the droning clutches of Garrison Keillor's voice I feel like I've dropped through a hole in the floor, entering a parallel universe where the word funny doesn't mean what I think it means.

Keillor: "And then Ethel proceeded to bring three apple pies to the potluck."

Studio Audience: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Me: "What? Why is that funny? All he said was that she brought 3 pies. It wasn't even like they were funny pies with birds or worms or lugnuts. Just apple."

Tim: "It's not the story. It's the way he tells it."

Me: "But he's just talking. And it's radio so you can't even see his face. Even with Groucho glasses it isn't funny."

Tim: "Oh just go watch TVLand."

After 15 years we've just agreed to disagree on all matters Woebegon. But today, yes this very 14 September, 2005, I am vindicated. Garrison Keillor has no sense of humour.


According to an article pointed out by Claire Suddath of the Nashville Scene, Mr. Funny is pursuing a Cease & Desist against a blogger who is selling T-Shirts reading "A Prairie Ho Companion".

Now; that shirt. THAT is funny. It has all the best elements of comedy-->brand satire, foul language, sex and a sense of irony. Of course, it doesn't have anything to do with ice fishing, rapid-rise flour or women named Lois so Keillor fails to see the humour. I hate that this guy in Minnesota has lawyers on his tail, but I love that after 15 years I'm finally one step closer to winning this argument, as Garrison Keillor proves once and for all that he cannot bring the funny.

9 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, September 14, 2005, Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

Not only is your husband very handsome, but he obviously has wonderful taste.
Keillor is hysterically funny. Hubby is right on this one...it's the way he tells a story that makes it funny.
I'll conceed you have a valid point a deserve a good chuckle over the lawsuit thing.

 
At 7:54 AM, September 14, 2005, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

I am going to go out on a limb here and say I find Keillor a gifted storyteller and I do find the Lake Wobegon stories to be quite humorous.

 
At 8:44 AM, September 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record, I officially stopped listening to PHC several years ago. Finally decided that I abhored the guy's politics - which he repeatedly insisted upon inserting into his entertainment. I'm going to find humorous the constant mocking of the values and beliefs that I hold why??? Granted, the guy can tell a good story, but sometimes that's just not enough.

 
At 9:28 AM, September 14, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

MIchael & Sharon...

You guys have cause me more pain than this stone.

TRAITORS!

 
At 9:35 AM, September 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wheeeee! We agree!

I don't get Keillor at all. He is much, much better in print. Dude is not funny. the boyfriend loves PHC, but I wince through the whole thing.

 
At 9:52 AM, September 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keillor is funny sometimes ... but only certain stories - and it's mostly his really early stuff. It's that old stuff that gets people to listen ... and then they quit when they hear the later stuff.

My dad is a huge Keillor fan. He was at the Ryman last year -- and we bought my dad and mom tickets for his birthday. The show lasted FIVE HOURS. Five hours on those horribly uncomfortable Ryman chairs. But my dad loved it ... ;)

And you know Happyville's (I think you know what that is) slogan used to be:
Where all the cubicles are tiny, the women are good-looking, and the humor is above-average

;)

Lacy

 
At 10:15 AM, September 14, 2005, Blogger P. K. Nail said...

I'm actually quite fond of Keillor, although I rarely get the chance to hear him. Perhaps that makes a difference. But I have fond childhood memories of road trips with my family where we would fire up PHC on the way home from somewhere.

Some of the stuff on the show I don't like, but the weekly Woebegon story and Guy Noir are hilarious (to me). I think maybe it's the randomness that makes it funny.

 
At 11:46 AM, September 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The annual Joke Show of PHC is the only time I make it a point to listen. Other than that one show, the program has the overall effect of cough syrup without the goofy high.

 
At 10:16 AM, September 15, 2005, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Well, it was not my intention to cause you pain, Katherine....

But if it does make me have one small thing in common with Sharon...it's all good..LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home