15 November, 2005

Tagged!

Wow. I think this may be the first (or second? not sure) time I've been tagged. Michael has bestowed this honor, and I hope to rise to the challenge.

1. FLIP open a dictionary and point to a word.
2. Type the word into Google images.
3. PICK an image that strikes you.
4. Write a 10 line RIFF off the image.
5. Use the word or the meaning of the word at least once within the first 5 lines of your riff.
6. Tag 3 other bloggers on your list.

Like Michael, I tend toward the fibre-free version of the dictionary, so I'm stuck using A Year With C.S. Lewis as my wordly reference point.

The Word: Under

The Image:

The Riff: It had been years since Linda had been able to read a book like a normal person, with it in her lap on the couch or resting on the table. In order to make any sense of the words at all, she had to hold any reading material at arms' length. Out here on the lawn under the oaks was no exception. She and Chuck planted the trees when they moved into their dream home twenty-four years ago, and at last the former saplings were looking like stately old trees. Unfortunately, both Chuck and Linda were looking like stately old people. "Ah, Darling! I'm afraid I'm turning over a new leaf!" (Chuck seemed to find this extremely funny. Whenever they read in the arbor he announces every page-turning this way.) Linda looked away from her book and smiled at the man she'd stuck herself with in her youth. She didn't want reading glasses because she always wanted to be able to see him this way. Without glasses he still looked young and she could pretend that they and the trees were new here.

There. That's 10 lines. There's more to Chuck and Linda, but I could go on all day and that wouldn't be good for anybody.

Man. Who do I tag? How about Pam, Huck, and Kleinheider. Yeah. Kleinheider.

5 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, November 15, 2005, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Very cool....thanks for playing!

 
At 1:35 PM, November 15, 2005, Blogger Jamie said...

You are an eloquent writer, and the game looks like fun.

Maybe someday, when I figure out what tagging is, I'll be able to play. I feel like the kid in grade school who doesn't know how to fold notes in that cool way so therefore doesn't pass any at all.

 
At 3:02 PM, November 15, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Well, thanks!

Apparently there is nothing more to tagging than saying that you've tagged someone and then putting their URL in your post.

Although there may very well be some further etiquette-secret of which I am as yet unaware.

 
At 3:03 PM, November 15, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

And, Michael...
Thanks for tagging me.

Stuff like this is fun.

 
At 3:05 PM, November 15, 2005, Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Bravo, Katherine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home