19 January, 2006

More Than You Deserve *


It seems that Some Of You need a little primer on MeatLoaf. Allow me in my fangirl obsessiveness to enlighten you.

Common Misconceptions About Meat Loaf

1. All his songs sound the same.

Clearly this is a naive misunderstanding. There are actually three distinct Meat Loaf songs.
a) Driving Rock Manifesto (Bat Out Of Hell; Good Girls Go To Heaven (Bad Girls Go Everywhere))
b) Party Rock Riff (Paradise By The Dashboard Light; Everything Louder Than Everything Else)
c) Rock Ballad (Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad; More Than You Deserve)

2. He wrote the songs.

No. The Premiere King of Rock Opera, Jim Steinman wrote the best of Meat Loaf's songs. He also wrote such gems as the killer rock-out Holding Out For A Hero; the mega-hit Air Supply song Making Love Out Of Nothing At All and of course the song ably covered by Celine Dion--It's All Coming Back To Me Now. You Barry Manilow geeks are probably familiar with his cover of the Steinman ballad (category C) Reed 'Em And Weep

3. The non-Steinman Meatloaf albums kinda suck.

Holding any record next to a Steinman opus causes the non-Neverland record to pale in comparison. Regardless, there are some great tracks (Wolf At The Door, Midnight At The Lost And Found) that can be dredged up off these weaker discs.

4. Meat Loaf Never Sang In A Movie

LIAR!!! His rendition of Hot Patootie in The Rocky Horror Picture Show is the ultimate keeper.

5. 35-year old women who are obsessive walking encyclopaedias of Aday and Steinman are crazy.

This is probably true. But we are happily crazy and crazy with our happiness.

*ETA: This is actually the title of Steinman's second publicly performed Rock Operetta.

9 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

I had no idea....I feel smarter for having been here today.

 
At 3:33 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Busy Mom said...

Don't forget his daughter, Pearl, sings back-up for him.

 
At 4:30 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Ah yes. Pearl. I read a book all about rock wives, and his wife and daughters wrote a chapter. They are all so sweet. What was that book called? "Rock Wives", probably. The freakiest was the chick who married Jerry Lee Lewis when she was 9 or whatever. She's a realtor now.

Wow. That was off topic.

Back to topic...one of the main reasons I love Meat Loaf? In March of 98 he was on Politically Incorrect with Jay Thomas, Bob Odenkirk and some person I forget about. They were discussing the Clinton/Lewinsky deal, and Jay Thomas made a "joke" about Clinton denying the scandal because he was ashamed about "sleeping with a fat chick."

Meat Loaf countered with...."My wife isn't ashamed to sleep with me."

Dude. That rocked. Meat stood up for the Fat Chicks. Love the man.

 
At 5:22 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

How can anyone not have a love for the Loaf?

 
At 9:27 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

Paradise By the Dashboard Light is one of my favorite songs, ever. :)

 
At 9:32 PM, January 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And lest we forget another reason to love Meat Loaf:

Bob and his Man Breasts.

Who else could pull off a role like that? What a riot.

Jason

 
At 12:28 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger P. K. Nail said...

LoveloveLOVE Meat Loaf. Of course, it's unfair to compare the Steinman stuff to Meat Loaf originals, but "Midnight at the Lost and Found" is one of my faves of his.

Not that it beats "Paradise By the Dashboard Light". I mean, what does, really? That's one of those songs that makes you drive an extra block around so you can finish listening to it.

 
At 6:25 PM, January 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being the kid brother of Mycropht, Meat Loaf was an absolute requirement.

I'll never forget the day that Bat out of Hell II came out. I rushed over to Best Buy to get it before going into work at Taco Hell. I fell in love all over again with I would do anything for love (but I won't do that).

BOOH is still probably the best whole album ever produced, at least that I've had the privilege to listen to. Meatloaf will always have a special place in my iTunes.

 
At 6:30 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Man, I used to force you guys to hear that album ALL the time, didn't I?!??! You poor people. Ah well. It was good for ya.

Bat is the best whole album ever produced, second to that would be Physical Graffitti. Or The Wall. I can't make up my mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home