22 March, 2006

And When I Die

Over at NiT, they're discussing funeral arrangements. Brittney asked what everyone's plan for mourning their husk is. I've already told my family, members of my Sunday School class and other assorted people. But I'll leave record of my funeral arrangements here, just cause.

First, all family members (and close friends who choose to) will be wearing t-shirts that say "My Wife/Mother/Sister/Cousin/Aunt Went To Heaven, And All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt."

There will be a hymn-singing, where I would like the following hymns to be enjoyed by the attendees:
And Can It Be
Amazing Love! How can it be, that thou, my God, shouldst die for me? Bold, I approach the eternal throne and claim the crown through Christ my own
Blessed Assurance (they sang this one at my wedding, too.)
Be Thou My Vision
Wonderful Grace Of Jesus
Trust me, you haven't lived until you've heard a rousing rendition of this sung by a roomful of enthusiastic folk. I first heard this at the Mennonite Relief Sale Quilt Autcion Hymn Sing when I was 17. Wow.
At Calvary
Nothing But The Blood
Christ The Lord Is Risen Today

My epitaph is to be the stanza of that hymn which goes:
Made like Him, Like Him we rise. Ours the Cross, the Grave, the Skies

My body is to be put in a pine box. No expensive casket. It's just a waste of money. Not necessary. Spend my casket money on a new car or something.

Anyway, after the hymn sing there is to be a huge party with plenty of food, ABBA on the soundtrack, people laughing and purple balloons. No black balloons. Purple. And that pretty pearlescent kind. Everybody who comes is to be given a list of my favourite books and music and movies, so if they want to experience the things that brought me joy when I was alive they can.

At the gravesite, if you all choose to bury me, or the ash-scattering, I'd like to have Arlo Guthrie's "Last Train" played.
If you decide to cremate me, at least erect some type of tombstone for me in the family garden, with my name, dates and that epitaph I mentioned before.

And that's how I'd like to be remembered.

7 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, March 22, 2006, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Will there be an opportunity to do keroeke?!?

 
At 2:52 PM, March 22, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Yes. At the party.

 
At 4:35 PM, March 22, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

Wonderful Grace of Jesus is about the longest hymn ever. Just have folks sing the first and last verse. And repeat the chorus at the end for all da basses in da house.

 
At 4:37 PM, March 22, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

Oh, and I want "A Mighty Fortress" at my funeral. Believe it or not, it pretty much makes me cry tears of joy whenever I get to the third verse.

 
At 5:19 PM, March 22, 2006, Blogger P. K. Nail said...

Wonderful Grace of Jesus has been a relatively recent discovery for me, but it has almost carved out the spot for my favorite hymn.

 
At 7:04 PM, March 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good Katherine.

I don't care as long as the preacher uses my funeral to lead people to Jesus with an invitation at the end. Also, I want the organ to play "Victory in Jesus" in a really upbeat manor, because for a believer, death is the ultimate victory.

 
At 4:50 PM, March 23, 2006, Blogger Harry J. Monroe, Jr. said...

"And Can It Be" is also one of my 2 or 3 favorite hymns.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home