17 March, 2006

How To Get Yourself Beat Up In Third Grade

It's St. Patrick's Day.

I hate St. Patrick's Day. When we were little kids, my father insisted that we wear orange. I get it now that I'm 35 and have spent years studying the history of Great Britain and Ireland, but when you're eight it just doesn't work. When you're eight and you show up at school without wearing green and all the other kids pinch you it's very hard to explain. Somehow saying "We are a Protestant family who did not support the Catholic self-rule of the Irish people" to other eight year olds just gets you pinched even more. And laughed at.

Of course, now that I'm older and have spent all those years studying history I must say that although I am not Catholic I firmly support the right of the Irish to self-government.

I just don't own any green clothes.

1 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, March 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so funny. I had a bright orange t-shirt and a lime green t-shirt sitting on my dresser yesterday morning. I couldn't decide which to wear with my button down "casual friday" shirt for work.

Considering that my boss is Catholic and a significant number of people I work with are also Catholic, I decided on the lime green. Considering it's not really the Irish green, I felt sort of okay to wear the lime green.

Still I'll be Orange at heart forever. Rock On U2.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home