11 March, 2006

Kat's Showtune Rules

Welcome to the first (and perhaps only) installment of Kat's Showtune Rules.

1. "Get Me To The Church On Time" and "With A Little Bit Of Luck" should not be sung without a Cockney accent. Bryn Terfel, I'm talking to you. Pull out the stopper/Let's have a whopper sounds really lame coming from an overly-dictioned operatic style baritone. It's like that Simpson's episode where they play "In A Gadda Da Vida" on the church organ.

2. Speaking of My Fair Lady, whoever sold "(Wouldn't It Be) Loverly" to some hotel chain should be shot. If I hear that chorus of idiots singing "All I want is a room somewhere/with a wetbar and wireless internet access" again, I'll be forced to lob hand grenades at the closest franchisee of said hotel chain.

3. As I gleefully announced at Rex's place, it is finally possible to get "They Call The Wind Maria" from iTunes. Why is the fire "Joe", anyway? Does that make sense? "Joe" is a friendly guy's name--the guy who will fix your tire. Fire is not that friendly.

4. Starlight Express may be the stupidest musical ever. But I would pay money to see the full version of Elephant!.

5. Repeat after me--"Colm Wilkinson can do no wrong"

3 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, March 12, 2006, Blogger P. K. Nail said...

Not a fan of Colm Wilkinson. At least as Jean Valjean. But that may be because I heard Gary Morris first.

And ... can it be that someone besides me actually loves Paint Your Wagon?! Yay!

 
At 10:49 AM, March 12, 2006, Blogger Just Larry said...

To my shame, I saw Starlight Express in New York...


...and again, later, in Vegas.

 
At 8:26 PM, March 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love showtunes! In fact when my parents lived in NJ in the late 50s and early 60s they would go on date night to escape us kids by driving into NYC to see a musical. They would then buy the tape on reel to reel and that became the staple of my early childhood musical input.

A few years ago I was explaining to a native NYC cab driver (and you thought there weren't any) that despite my southern accent--which for some reason goes into hyper drive the minute the wheels touch runway north of the Mason-Dixon line--that I was sorta a "local." Somehow the explaination had him singing me Name-that-Showtune while we were shortcutting through Central Park. Does it get any better?

-susan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home