30 March, 2006

Vonage Blows

I know that Patrick loves them so much that he's even gotten a free hat from the company. But I'd be darn near death from shock if I could even get them to set up the service right.

Here's how it's supposed to work:

1. You buy some box thingy that lets your phone work over your internet connection.
2. You call them to set up the service, and give them the name of the people who referred you so those phonepimpers can get a free month. Here's the first problem. Apparently Mr. Tim (as this dude on the other line keeps calling ME) didn't say the name of our referring party at just the right point in time, our "benefactors" didn't get their free months.
3. They set everything up and call your old phone company to have the number moved from BellSouth to Vonage.
Here's the other problem It's been 9 weeks. We're presently paying both bills, and calling Vonage every 48 hours. Each time we call we get the "free beer tomorrow" treatment. They keep claiming they've escalated us, and to call back for the final status in 48 hours. I am currently on hold for what will be the 6th set of "48 hours"es.

Why do I press on? Quite simply, it's my greed. Our BellSouth bill would be $90.00 minimum, not counting the increased long distance from having two active home offices telecommuting with North Carolina, Florida and Texas. Add to that the fact that we've already sprung a fifty for the Vonage Box Thingy®. Theoretically when this is up and running our monthly bill will be a flat $30.00, with unlimited long distance. We've also bought the special local numbers for both our families' convenience. So, to quote Mel Gibson in Braveheart "Some of us are in this thing."

But really, I would highly discourage you from attempting to join Vonage if you have a history of high blood pressure, risk of stroke or are in the early months of pregnancy. Or have inherited your father's Welsh temper.

4 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, March 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh. They must be the victim of their own success. I changed our home and my business service over to Vonage about 2 years ago, and everything went fine. That of course was before they were selling through Best Buy, etc. It's a good concept, and works really well. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with them.

 
At 8:27 AM, March 31, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

Take a deep breath. There. Feel better?

Yeah... if I had it all to do over again, I would not have ported my number. I would have just gone with a new Vonage number. That was the toughest part of the whole thing for us, but I chalked it up to them being a young company at the time. If they're still having problems porting, my guess is that it's not Vonage's issue. They're probably getting BS from BS. I mean think about it... if someone's paying you $90 a month, how quick will you be at allowing that business to go away?

 
At 5:31 PM, March 31, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

They must be the victim of their own success.
They're probably getting BS from BS.

After another 1hr 46 minutes shuttling between the two companies I think it's a bad combination of both. We're caught in the Perfect Storm Of Multiple Bureaucracies, with a smattering of "outgrowing the old business model" thrown in.

Near as I can make out, BellSouth wouldn't transfer the number as requested, but Vonage's customer service was far too busy to promptly and completely follow through.

Take a deep breath. There. Feel better?

No.

eah... if I had it all to do over again, I would not have ported my number.

But I have the COOLEST, most easily remembered number possible. Which is printed on business cards, letterhead, checks, etc. It's not quite easy to drop it like that.

Besides, I think I've finally gotten results. Poor Tim just isn't as used to working phones as I, nor did he have as much time to call the various companies over and over and over again.

On the downside, I can no longer receive incoming calls. A problem that "should be fixed by 12:01am on April 1st." But if it isn't, I'm certainly to feel free to call them back.

Good to know. I would have hated the not-feeling-free.

Sigh.

There. Now I do feel better.

 
At 10:59 PM, March 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, Vonage rules. I set it up right away, no problem. Saves me $50 a month.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home