26 April, 2006

Eh, Nevermind

So I had a whole blog post typed about something that annoyed me, but then I realised I was giving it more attention than it deserved so I deleted it.

Since I have the Blogger Create window open, though, it's a shame to waste it. So I'm gonna tell you what I personally like to read on blogs and don't like to read on blogs. Keep in mind, I'm not telling you what to do. So all of you who like to pop into the comments and say "but I thought you were a libertarian" can relax. I'm merely expressing my personal preferences.

1. Wry, humourous and witty takes on things. It's fun to hear other people say what they think about stuff, even when we are diametrically opposed on certain issues. (Me=Bible True. Other Guy=Bible Not True.)

2. Tales about life in the trenches, whether it's waiting tables, being a nurse, selling Amway. What's your job like and how does it affect your life? What do you miss about your old job? That's all part of being human, and I like it.

3. Well-thought out opinions on social issues. Even when we disagree.

4. Good conservative commentary. I'm a conservative, even though some folk refuse to believe it. I like seeing conservative commentary that doesn't stoop to Hannity bromides.

5. Excellent material on your personal views and how they shape your opinions on economics, politics and religion.

6. Entertaining stories about your life events such as upcoming weddings raising kids and being married.

7. Breakdowns and reactions to popular culture events. TV Shows, movies, songs, whathaveyou.

Now, there are a whole lot of blogs on my blogroll that do these things that I didn't link. But, generally speaking, if they're on my blogroll it's because their blog is like this, in some way shape or form. I just didn't link them just now because I didn't happen to have their URL memorised and I'm that kind of lazy right now. But trust me. If they're blogrolled, they're good. And two of them, Rex L. Camino and Tim Warner are in a class by themselves. What they do defies description, and they do it better than anyone else I've seen.

So why am I going into all of this? Because I keep going to blogs that are just recaps of news stories. Here's a hint: I and anyone else who uses the Web have Excite. I have Google. I have all the access I could ever want to AP, Reuters and whoever else generates news feeds. Why should I be interested in the news as cherry-picked by some stranger?

3 Comments:

At 7:17 AM, April 27, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

I feel so honored!

 
At 8:28 AM, April 27, 2006, Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

Me too! :)

 
At 11:05 AM, April 27, 2006, Blogger Lesley said...

But what if I post news bits AND sarcastic comments about them?

Actually, not all of us read all the news sites. I only do when I get really bored. I'm a bad blogger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home