22 April, 2006

Who Knew Old Men Could Be So Bitchy?

As several of us have talked about, Scott Crossfield died this week. He was a test pilot, and famous for his ongoing duel-in-the-sky with Chuck Yeager.

Now, I love Chuck Yeager. I do. I've read everything about him I could get my hands on. But he sure hates Crossfield. In his autobiography, Yeager slammed Crossfield as "the most arrogant" pilot he'd ever met. Which, given the stable of pilots I've met in my life is saying something.

This week, with Crossfield's body not even down to room temperature, Yeager got in the last word. According to Yeager, Crossfield's complacency, paired with his disregard for weather conditions got him killed.

Part of me would like to think that Gen. Yeager is still thinking like a test pilot. "It's not the machine, it's the man". But knowing his general distaste for Crossfield, I kinda think that maybe old men and teenage girls have something in common.

Then again, I feel for a guy whose become estranged from his children at 83 years of age.

3 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, April 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Without a doubt, this is the textbook definition of "a grudge you will take to your grave."

If the Yeager kids were smart, they would figure out a way to either bump off, or through private investigators discredit "New Mom".

 
At 1:40 PM, April 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like both guys have testosterone poisoning

 
At 9:01 AM, April 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude,

It reminds me of Vera Charles and Mame.

I'm up to my eyes in old films for my readings at school and that's the first thing that came to mind. They'll always be bosom buddies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home