12 May, 2006

May I PLEASE Have My Old Penn & Teller Back?

Language Warning

Penn & Teller are two of my favourite social critics. I could, of course, do without their anti-Christian stuff, but they have a right to think whatever they want. In spite of those awkward moments, their Showtime show "Bullsh*t" (or "Penn & Teller: Bull.....!" as it appears in my TiVo listings) has been required watching for me over the past three years.

What, exactly, have they done to this show? When it first aired, we got high-quality investigative reporting with the Libertarian spin. It was sort of an irreverant "60 Minutes", as made by people with whom I agree 90% of the time. (Again, our religion differs quite a bit, but beyond that we're golden.) There were in-depth looks at Recycling, Mother Theresa (the one religious issue with which I agree with P&T wholeheartedly), College and other sacred cows of Modern America.

What happened?

Why have they gone from excellence to ludicrousness? Instead of having experts from the Cato Institute it appears we're following around cat-crazed maiden aunts for a silly nothing episode on "Pet Love". Yes, it's funny that some guy makes fake dog balls. But a whole show? Isn't there better stuff to debunk? Besides, as far as mockery goes, picking on cat fanciers is shooting fish in a barrel. It's seventh-grade locker room bullshit, not the real thing.

Come on, guys. Don't do me like this!

3 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, May 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did that episode cut too close to home, Kitty?

Penn admitted that it was a "fluff" episode and below their usual standard.

 
At 5:12 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Eh, mebbe. I didn't think so, though. If anything, they left a lot of prime mocking material out.

I wasn't too happy with the Cryptozoology one either, for many of the same reasons. It looks like the Reparations one may be getting back to their usual standard.

 
At 5:33 PM, May 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to say it, but the well may be running dry on topics they can skewer without becoming repetitive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home