09 May, 2006

Veronica Mars Afterglow

Spoilers, obviously.




How pleased am I? Deliriously. The only thing wrong was Lamb (that dead bastard) not letting Weevil graduate. I admit, there were many tears freely flowing down my face at that moment.

How much of a shout-out to Pulp Fiction is that cliffhanger?!? I see more endless rounds of "what's in the briefcase?"

But....the best part?




VERONICA AND LOGAN, BAYBEEE!!!! Sure, they'll find a way to break them up over the summer, because Rob Thomas loves to jerk the LoVe fanship around. But for now I'll sleep the sleep of angels. And wake up smellin' bacon.


UPDATE

Sigh. Hubby, always with the "Repo Man! Repo Man Rules!"

Yes, dear. Repo Man does indeed rule. And yes, I fully agree that the Pulp Fiction briefcase was a shout-out to Emilio Estevez' one great movie. However, I maintain that the Veronica Mars briefcase cannot be a shout out to Repo Man, but is, indeed, a tribute to Tarantino's masterpiece.

Let's Venn Diagram it, shall we? You know how I loves me some Venn Diagrams. (I think it's because they're like the Sex thing without the plus and the arrow.)


As you can see from this diagram, while both Repo Man and Pulp Fiction have the "glow" element, only Pulp Fiction has the briefcase element. And while both Veronica Mars and Pulp Fiction share the briefcase, only Pulp Fiction incorporates the glow from Repo Man.

So clearly, Pulp Fiction is the one point where these two great works of fiction intersect. And therefore clearly VMars is, at best, a shout-out once removed to Repo Man.

UPDATE II
(Lesson to all of you....don't drink a Coke at 8:00 at night. Too much useless energy ensues.)

And yes, Veronica Mars did have a direct shout-out to Repo Man, as this article clearly states.

5 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, May 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you really call it a Pulp Fiction shout-out if Pulp Fiction doing it was a shout-out to Repo Man?

Gotta give credit where credit's due...

 
At 8:43 AM, May 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank goodness for tivo. I replayed so many scenes last night trying to get every bit of dialogue out.

And especially the LoVe bits. And it can't just be money in the briefcase ... it would have to be something huge to cause him to not meet V at the airport.

Oh and even though you knew he wasn't dead ... weren't you just dying when V is shouting "he killed my dad!!" Great scene with L taking the gun from her ...

I love this show.

~ Lacy

 
At 11:22 AM, May 10, 2006, Blogger P. K. Nail said...

I don't think Lamb is dead. Woody was arrested in Reno, so I think Lamb just called Keith from Neptune and told him to get off the plane.

But yes, so much awesome in that finale. I loved - LOVED - Logan in that rooftop scene. His reaction to hearing that Cassidy raped Veronica, him talking her down and getting the gun from her...

OH! And I loved the little scene at Veronica's apartment where she's asleep on his lap - a little parallel to the first ep of the season. And cooking breakfast for her ... GAH! *loves*

 
At 11:43 AM, May 10, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

I don't think Lamb is dead.

Crap. I was so hoping he would be. After that stunt with Weevil, I wanted him dead. Mean of me, but that's the truth.

 
At 2:46 PM, May 10, 2006, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Lamb is not dead. I think Rob Thomas confirmed that on TV Guide On-Line.

I think where it gets confusing is...

Keith catches up to Woody at the ranch and calls the local (to the ranch) authorities. They arrest Woody and put him back on the plane. Lamb back in Neptune calls up the local sherriff and gets Keith bumped from the flight.

So Lamb is still kicking it up a notch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home