12 May, 2006

Why I'm Up At 3:30 In The Morning

Did you ever have nightmares so intense they coloured your whole next day? That was me on Wednesday night. I'd call them night terrors, but when I woke my throat was too dry to scream bloody murder. My dreams were stark terror alternating with deep shame and boiling frustration. Several times I bolted upright in bed, clammy all over but my whole mouth sandpaper dry. All day Thursday sat under the oppressive cloak of remembered dreams and was useless as a day.

And I swear that after all of that I have no desire to go to sleep. None at all. I generally remember my dreams. I'm still harrowed by the last ones. I don't want to sign on for another tour of duty.

8 Comments:

At 6:37 AM, May 12, 2006, Blogger John said...

How horrible! I'll pray that you're able to get some rest over the weekend.

 
At 9:09 AM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Amy said...

I think one of the best things about being married is not being alone when I wake up from a nightmare! I love being able to snuggle up to my husband when my heart is still pounding from a dream--makes me feel safer :)

 
At 10:29 AM, May 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had one of those really emotionally intense dreams last night, too. I remember being an emotional wreck during the dream. I woke up drained and exhausted. I feel for you.

Jason

 
At 12:41 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

Ugh. That's awful. I hope you are able to get some peaceful rest (not rest in peace...I said that somewhere else today, too, how weird!)

 
At 1:18 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger melusina said...

I have that happen sometimes too. It always used to happen now and then, but I think it happens more since moving to Greece.

 
At 2:16 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Lee said...

I'll get stress dreams, where whatever was going on in my dream had me so stressing out that I woke up not scared, but tense, and for the rest of the day at work I would be tense as well. Not fun. PS: Thanks for the plug.

 
At 2:25 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Man, I am so glad to know that I'm not the only one who has this happen.

FWIW, I did sleep a couple of hours. Still had bad dreams, but they weren't of the screaming-terror variety.)

 
At 9:01 AM, May 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad dreams are terrible. I always have bad dreams when I take strange prescriptions.

One solution I've found is digging through my iTunes for a new mix that might help take the edge off. I have mixes like "upbeats" "new upbeats" "Spring 2005 upbeats" "Prozac Mix" well you get the idea. I assemble the strangest songs, everything from Dolly Parton to Rufus Wainwright to Joni Mitchell. Sometimes the next day when I listen to the CD I think, what the heck made me put that one on here?

I hope you are doing better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home