26 May, 2006

Movies They Oughtta Make: Take 2

It's probably cheating to suggest films ought to be made from books. I wasn't going to do it, but then I had one thought. Bewitched. If they are so desperate out there as to need to remake old sitcoms, perhaps they can look to another medium for ideas.

I have several films in my head that could be spun from some books I've loved, but I hesitate suggesting them. Hollywood's idea of what entertains is generally very different from any author's viewpoint. (Remember the love story from Jaws?)
I realised this when I first thought of making this particular book into a film. Because theoretically it is already in development.

Hah. Anyone familiar with Julian F. Thompson's The Grounding Of Group Six knows that the "movie" synopsis of the film in development is NOTHING compared to the actual story.

Here's the film they want to make for us:
A seventeen-year-old travels cross-country to find his older brother who has escaped from a mental instituion. On the way, he falls in love with one of his brother's old friends.


WTH? The excellent JFT book tells the story of five posh teenagers and their young counselor at an exclusive camp for rich kids. Slowly they realise that their parents have sent them to this camp to be executed. At the same time, handsome "counselor" Nick comes to know the children he's been hired to kill and has second thoughts. Eventually they all band together to overturn the institution, save the day and give their parents comeuppance.

That's the classic story, and that's the book that should become a blockbuster Hollywood film.

3 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, May 26, 2006, Blogger ceeelcee said...

I remember my mom bought me the paperback of Jaws when I was pretty young to read on some long family car vacation. I felt so dirty sitting in the back seat reading about Hooper and Brody's wife finger-diddling while I sat wedged between my two brothers knees. Luckily, they didn't have much interest in reading and were just glad I shut up for eight hours.

 
At 5:36 PM, May 26, 2006, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Movies always lose something in translation from books, but you're right, this sounds like a true crime!

 
At 11:15 PM, May 29, 2006, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Two words come to mind when I think of Hollywood and movies from books (particularly ones I have read and enjoyed) "Starship Troopers"

It makes me shudder to think of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home