26 May, 2006

Star Wars==A Few Thoughts

So I've been quasi-laid-up for a few days, and I thought I'd amuse myself by watching Star Wars movies. If Star Wars Movies were wedding dresses, the "new" trilogy would be mine. It had pearls, sequins, beads, ribbons, lace and just about every other white thing you could stick on a gown. (Trust me, it was fashionable when I wore it. Many years ago.) The old trilogy, on the other hand, would be one of those simple but elegant satin shifts. Sadly, with all the tinkering George did for the "special" editions, it's as though he stuck some gaudy sequined iron-on patches on the sparsely elegant dress.

Is any of this making sense? Probably not. But I still stand by the fact that if there'd been a bit less CGI and a bit more Han Solo-type charm, the prequels would have been a lot more timeless. Yub yub.

4 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, May 26, 2006, Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

I agree with you, and you know what a Star Wars addict I am. I am one of the few that really did enjoy Revenge of the Sith, though. Maybe, if they'd started with Attack of the Clones and gone forward we could have had more character development, instead of special effects. I just hated Phantom Menace! BTW, I'm heading up to Columbus next week for the COSI Star Wars exhibit: Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination. Lot's of cool stuff there.

 
At 10:40 AM, May 26, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

If you hated Phantom Menace, you might like The Phantom Edit (if you can find it.)

 
At 8:42 AM, May 27, 2006, Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Oooo, now I LOVE The Phantom Edit!!

 
At 9:51 AM, May 29, 2006, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

It's interesting that once upon a time Lucas said that special effects with a good story and characters were just pretty pictures on screen. Too bad he forgot that when he was making the new trilogy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home