09 May, 2006

WB Is Actually Making Sense

It's about time. I've never downloaded a thing off BitTorrent, because I personally don't think it's ethical. But I'm a huge fan of getting consumable media off the web. I'm also a huge un-fan of renting videos from the video store. I dislike adding an extra errand to my staple of to-dos. Netflix is some better, but there's still the issue of being a little less on-demand. If I feel like watching a sci-fi film on Friday, I don't want to wait for the following Tuesday to have it shipped from my NetFlix queue.

But on-demand flicks downloadable from the web? You betcha. I'm there, and I'll pay $5.99-$10.99 for the newest releases on download. I'll even pay $2.99-$3.99 for backlist titles. This has been a long time coming, and I'm glad to see the studios starting to peek out from beneath those rocks where they apparently live.

4 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, May 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*rolls eyes* Took them long enough to catch on.

 
At 12:06 PM, May 09, 2006, Blogger W said...

Nice, but my TV is much better for watching them than my monitor. I'm going to have to figure out how to transfer between the two.

 
At 12:18 PM, May 09, 2006, Blogger dolphin said...

W, Get one of these or any of the other similar products out there (some have a bunch of cool extra features as well).

I don't like the fact that if you buy the movie online this way, your "backup DVD" (is it really a back-up if it's your only hard copy?) will only play on the computer you burned it on. I understand WHY they want to do it that way, but to me that severely hinders the functionality of the movie. Personally, I love watching movies, but I love watching them WITH people. Perhaps I'm strange but I take DVDs over to friend's houses for viewing there with them all the time. Further (again I may be strange) I usually format my computer once a year or so to keep everything running smooth as possible. I suspect that we I to purchase a film this way I'd no longer be able to play it (from the Backup DVD) after a format.

I think it's a great idea but unfortunately I can see alot of potential for problem due to the care they'll be taking to prevent theft. A friend of mine says he never used to download illegal music files until the world went copyright crazy and now the illegal ones are all he can figure out how to play on his MP3 player. I think this is moving towards the same kind of thing with movies.

 
At 2:19 PM, May 09, 2006, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

BitTorrent is your friend...:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home