10 July, 2006

I Wouldn't Be In This Position If There Had Been Donuts

The first Sunday of every month is Breakfast Sunday for the Adult 1-A Department at my church. Lately, though, we've had a really loose definition of "first", because of various holidays and such mucking up the natural order of things. That meant that today was actually Breakfast Sunday, and it was The Older Classes' turn to provide. (I am in one of The Older Classes.) We all bring hearty, stick-to-your-ribs food like egg casserole, sausage balls and Ham biscuits. The Newlyweds always bring donuts. Well, the Newlyweds and a couple of couples in the Older Classes who have lots of kids or trouble with kitchen appliances. (I think the Newlyweds are too busy "cooking" in other rooms of their homes to bother with quiches and such.)

There were no donuts this morning, and my brain requires a certain amount of sugar and/or caffeine to function before 11:00am. It's a nightowl brain--as evidenced by the fact that I'm here, now, after midnite to tell you this sad tale.

So as I sat there with my plate of hearty egg dishes, I cheerily waved to the Children's Minister and struck up a conversation.

And that, my friends, is why I will be at Vacation Bible School every morning this week. I'll be taking lots of pictures of adorable children who are learning about Jesus through the creative use of macaroni, paper towling inserts and empty milk jugs. If I play my cards right, I'll even get a cookie. But I think I better have some sugar and/or caffeine before I show up, otherwise I'll be singing solos or preaching from the pulpit quicker than you can say "Southern Baptists Allow That Sort Of Thing Now."

Oh, and to the person sitting beside me at that fateful breakfasting--yes I'm now "plugged in", but please please please never use that phrase again. It'll make be blow a circuit breaker.

3 Comments:

At 6:19 AM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Sharon Collie said...

Are they Artic Edging it down at FBC? That, my friend, is where adventure meets courage.

I hope they let you hold the Bible or one of the flags and that you sing "Onward Christian Soldier" louder than anybody else.

 
At 10:31 AM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

PLAY YOUR CARDS RIGHT??? At a Baptist church???

We'l have none of that! And no mixed bathing either!

 
At 3:35 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

Sounds suspiciously like a CofC.
;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home