25 July, 2006

Things Overheard At Summitt, Or Why I Am Gonna Kill Brahms

"My throat hurts. Can I have some morpine?"

*brahms lullaby over the intercom*

"I'm really tired of potato salad. My mom makes it all the time."

"Yeah, my dad ran over a cat this weekend. Runned the truck right OVER its head. So of course I hadta go pick that thing up by its tail and just flung it into the woods sose they ain't gotta look at it no more. Damn shame too. That-un 'as a good cat. He had him some personality."

*brahms lullaby over the intercom*

"Do you have diabetes?" (said about 90 times)

"Are you Missus Kobble?" (Also said about 90 times)

*brahms lullaby over the intercom*

"What side is it on?"

*brahms lullaby over the intercom*

Apparently every time a baby is born at Summit, they play "brahms' lullaby" over the intercom. Between early Sunday morning and late Monday afternoon, I believe that 864,000 babies were born at Summitt Medical Center. I was there, having another kidney stone extracted (in what I like to call, privately, a "snatch-and-grab" ha!). Judging by conversations heard in the ER, I was one of at least 3 stone passers on Sunday.

I think they should play "We Will Rock You" over the intercom for every stone that is passed. It's only fair.

11 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, July 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a hospital soundtrack howzabout,
Stone Free
And It Stoned Me
Like A Rolling Stone
"How does it feeeeeel?"

 
At 8:21 AM, July 25, 2006, Blogger Jamie said...

Hang in there, Kat!

 
At 8:32 AM, July 25, 2006, Blogger John H said...

they'll stone you when lying in your bed..they'll stone you and leave you for dead..

whoops, maybe that one is not so good.

I've been where you are Kat, and I can remember your pain. I'm not going so far as to feel your pain, because i just don't want to re-live that shining moment.

 
At 9:09 AM, July 25, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

A couple of years ago when my grandmother was having surgery at Centennial we noticed a song being played every so often, though I never heard it well enough to identify which song, when we inquired about it the nurses said it played everytime a baby was born at Centennial. (Must be a Tri-Star thing) Anyway, several months later, I gave birth to my son at Centennial and not once did I hear that song being played. They must know better than do to something that potentially annoying where new parents are walking around dazed, confused and sleep-deprived!

 
At 9:44 AM, July 25, 2006, Blogger ceeelcee said...

Every time a stone is passed, an angel gets their wings.

Now there's a nice thought.

 
At 11:11 AM, July 25, 2006, Blogger Rachel said...

Well, at least it wasn't "Don't Fear the Reaper."

 
At 2:29 PM, July 25, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

I wish I could Digg posts on your blog... this one's definitely a thumbs up.

 
At 8:43 PM, July 25, 2006, Blogger Sharon Collie said...

Good lord and Mick Jagger....I'm so sorry you had to go through that whole shebang. Hope you're feeling better.

 
At 11:14 PM, July 25, 2006, Blogger grandefille said...

Yeowch!

Sending peaceful thoughts your way, ma'am.

 
At 10:16 PM, July 26, 2006, Blogger Emmitt said...

I think that they should play "Stones in my passway" by Robert Johnson
"I got stones in my passway, and my road seem dark as night
I got stones in my passway, and my road seem dark as night
I have pains in my heart, they have taken my appetite."

 
At 12:11 PM, July 29, 2006, Blogger Newscoma said...

Kat, I hope you are feeling better.
Went through something similar to this and I know what you mean about the pain of it all.
Take care of yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home