07 November, 2006

Argh...The Polls

Okay. I'm back from Voting. I was gone an hour and 45 minutes, which included trips to the Central Pike Church of Christ, the Hermitage library, Kroger and Panera.

Could I have gone to MORE places chock full o' humanity?

We voted at CPCOC, which took about 35 minutes all told. I was really disappointed in some of the poll workers. They weren't reinforcing the no-cell-phones rule OR the no-campaigning-within-the-polling-place rule. When I was a poll worker for the 1990 elections (was that already 16 years ago? Wierd...), we had to really be on our guard about the no-campaigning rule. People had to wear closed coats over campaign shirts OR were given the option to turn the shirt inside out.

Today there were several buttons, shirts and stickers worn by voters inside the polling place. Unlike Christmas and Halloween, Election Day is not a holiday where you wear themed clothes to participate. You may love your puff-painted sweatshirts featuring cats dressed as Santa's Elves lined up under the Christmas tree, but you cannot wear a "Corker for Senate" or "Ford for Senate" shirt into the polling place. Unless, apparantly, you voted at the Central Pike Church of Christ.

3 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, November 07, 2006, Blogger Lesley said...

Other than the fact that I voted in the "Douglas Henry" building at Nashville Tech, there was nothing inappropriate or outside the rules going on there. They even kicked the BF out of line because he wasn't voting and wasn't a minor (I didn't realize you couldn't have someone hang out with you in line--oops).

 
At 3:00 PM, November 07, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

I was in and out of my polling place in less than 20 minutes and that was with the rain and two kids with me!

 
At 3:51 PM, November 08, 2006, Blogger dolphin said...

I think I might take the record for longest wait to vote in this particular election. I changed addresses between this election and the last. I changed it with the registrar way back in August. I called on Monday to find out where my new polling location was since I wasn't positive. The lady told me and all seemed well.

Then I showed up to vote around 8:00 am yesterday morning. Suddenly, my name wasn't on the list, and a call to the registrar (the same registrar that had told me everything was fine the day before of course) turned up "no record" of my address change. I was told if I wanted to vote, I'd need to vote at the polling location for my former address. So I get in the car and a little over four hours on the road later, I finally get to vote (though it's worth noting I didn't get to vote for MY House Representative, but I at least got to vote on the Senate choices and the amendments to the constitiution). Then it's another four hour car trip back. I made sure I voted, but it cost me about $40 in gas, 8 hours on the road, and a day of work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home