05 November, 2006

An Irritating Phone Call From The Republicans And Another Call From GOD

::Ring::

Me, looking at Caller I.D. : Do I know [Last Name/First Name]? No. I won't pick up. Oh but wait. Maybe it's someone who wants Hubs to work on their bike.

Me: Hello?

Caller: Is this Mrs. Coble?

Me: Yes.

Caller: May I speak with [Hubs' Full First Name] Coble?

Me: He's not available. May I take a message?

Caller: Sure, but it's about current events. This is Eddie with the Tennessee Republican Party. Are you guys going to vote on Tuesday?

Me: Well, I sure wish you guys would have given us better candidates this year, but I guess we're stuck with what we've got so I suppose I'll end up voting even though I don't feel like it.

Eddie (wishing I had put Hubs on the phone, I'm sure.) : Well, are you guys gonna vote for Bob Corker and Jim Bryson on Tuesday?
-----

Here's the part where I got really ticked off. First of all, it isn't any of "Eddie"s business who I'm voting for. Second of all, I'm fairly ticked that Eddie asked to talk to Hubs and didn't think that my opinion was valid in and of its own right. He KNEW from the outset of the conversation that I was Mrs. Coble. What's with asking for the man of the house for the Official Household Voting Intent? Is "Eddie" automatically assuming that little ol' me has no opinion on how to vote?

Third of all, I still can't decide between Corker and Bo. My heart--that organ that screams THIRD PARTY even in my sleep--wants to click for Bo just because. But the part of me that thinks I can't stand Harold Ford Jr. or the entire massive dinosaur of corruption known as the Ford Family realises that a vote for Corker is a stronger vote against Fooniur than a vote for Bo. But dude, I hate to vote for anybody solely for the reason of voting against another person. I'd like to feel like my vote is a voice of assent, not a voice of dissent. I'm tired of the endless parade of "Voice of Dissent" candidates.

There's a huge part of me that was toying with staying home on Tuesday. But now I've committed to Eddie by at least telling him that I would vote.

UPDATE

Holy Cow. Guilt guilt guilt. No lie, just as I was typing the whole "stay home on tuesday like a cranky old bat" sentence, the phone rang again. It was a computer saying

This is David Beamer. My son Todd etc. etc. Let's Roll etc. In my heart I believe these terrorists want to kill us. Etc. etc. Vote this November 7th


Who knew God employed autodiallers? Now I have to vote Tuesday. If only I had someone decent to vote for....

5 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, November 05, 2006, Blogger Lynnster said...

I wrote a post yesterday about how irritated I was getting with those calls - I am getting the recorded ones from both parties so I am getting bombarded.

Today took the cake, though. First of all, I've got an even bigger problem with getting two of those recorded calls on a Sunday. And I got the Beamer one too - at 9:00 this morning. Even my own family doesn't call me before noon on a Sunday. 11:00 might have been a little more rational. Maybe it's just me but 9:00 on a Sunday morning to anywhere is inexcusable in my book...

You were also a lot more polite than I would have been if someone called here and asked for Mr. Lynnster. For one, he is not living here at the moment. And for two - just grrrr.

 
At 5:53 PM, November 05, 2006, Blogger Newscoma said...

I've gotten so many of these push polls that it makes me want to SCREAM!

 
At 9:13 PM, November 05, 2006, Blogger . said...

the only way is (and I own this so you gatta give me $.50 every time you use it):
"Re-Elect No-One"

-yup

 
At 12:33 AM, November 06, 2006, Blogger Loonytick Skook said...

Well, when "Eddie," or his co-volunteer at the TN GOP, called our house with the same call, he asked for me and settled for my husband. So I don't think they're just calling the male heads of household or anything. I think your husband and I got on some sort of mailing/phone list that you and my husband managed to avoid.

I guess they're asking the followup question as a sort of internal poll. When the Dems called me, they asked me to consider voting Democratic, but didn't actually want me to say whether or not I would.

 
At 7:33 PM, November 06, 2006, Blogger ned said...

Wow, aren't we all cranky in the blogosphere?

But regarding your comments: they're calling off of lists of likely voters--those who have voted in X out of however many past elections. I would guess that Kat isn't on that list and her husband is. That being said, typically, the people making the calls are volunteers, and they don't have it down to a science as to how to respond when "Joe Whosenameisonthelist" doesn't answer.

As for asking who you intend to vote for, the data demonstrate that if someone will commit to voting on the phone, they are more likely to follow through on that "commitment." As for asking who you voted for, they're trying to do a little informal exit polling.

But give 'em a break . . . they may not be bloggers but they care enough about the process to face or their candidate to endure rudeness and indifference from the likes of . . .

That being said . . . do we all feel better now?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home