06 November, 2006

Gregarious Animal

Nearly everyone who was there has already written about it.

No one was in pajamas. The liberals did not beat down the conservatives, nor vice versa. The lasagne could have used a touch more garlic--but maybe then everyone would have had to leave earlier.

I've started to notice that when bloggers get together it's a special kind of gathering, and I think I've figured out why. Most bloggers are introverted creatures. Even the more gregarious--Aunt B. for instance--are introverted creatures on a very fundamental level. So when we all get together there's a surprising lack of artifice. Of course I could be wrong and everyone could have been wearing a mask, but I don't think so.

I've been in a lot of social settings where people seem to feel forced to feign an outward personality to cope with the interactions. That doesn't seem to happen with a room full of bloggers. And over the past year, even though we are technically "bloggers" I think we've all started to become friends. Some of that may have to do with the fact that other bloggers are the ones who have actually shown interest in the parts of our lives we squirrell away on our internet journals. I think more than that is the fact that these are very earnestly nice people who love connecting with others who exist completely outside our other social spheres. None of us go to church together, work together or have kids on the same sports teams. We are friendly with one another simply because we like the people involved. And that makes a huge difference.

I'm very touched that so many people were willing to drive so far out of their way to come to my home, and I had a wonderful time. Those of you who weren't there were genuinely missed.

5 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, November 06, 2006, Blogger View From The Lake said...

Beautiful. Wow on your template, too.

 
At 8:34 AM, November 06, 2006, Blogger Newscoma said...

I swear I'm moving back to Nashville. You guys are great.

 
At 8:45 AM, November 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing I've found that I like so much about bloggers is there's this certain kind of understanding about each other that I really can't explain. It crosses all political, religious, and social lines. It's like I was saying the other night, (I said a lot. I've been so paranoid that maybe I talked a little too much and a little too loud. I hope my loud mouth didn't keep anybody else from talking who wanted to say more)there are some people in my life who don't understand the need to pontificate or who just plain aren't interested in my little ramblings. I've been told I need to "get a life", "have too much time on my hands" and many other patronizing statements "Oh, now nice that is for you."

Ever since I realized I had a knack with words, when I was about 7, I've mostly been embarrassed by it and avoided it. It took me another nearly 30 years to be comfortable enough with me to just let 'er fly.

I guess it's like its own little club, this blogger thing. It's certainly brought a huge dimension into my life that wasn't there before. I see the people part of it as a huge gift.

 
At 9:40 AM, November 06, 2006, Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

None of us go to church together, work together or have kids on the same sports teams.

I think that helps, too. I know I don't want to get too friendly with my work buddies in case there's a falling out and I have to continue to deal with them, ya know?

 
At 7:44 AM, November 07, 2006, Blogger Malia said...

I think you really summed it up well Kat, about the introvertedness and how we can interact to well with each other when we get together. I'm so very glad that I got into this "blogging thing" for the very fact that I've met so many wonderful people because of it. Nashville just a got a little smaller and a little bigger for me at the same time, if that makes any sense whatsoever!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home