11 December, 2006

SoThat's Where Pit Bulls Get A Bad Rap

I just got back from the 9000th trip to the vet's office. The one thing you can be sure of when you take a pet to the doctor is that there will be other animals in the waiting room. Unlike psychiatrist's offices, where patients are kept apart.

Today my dog was the only non-pitbull there.

Three pits. Two owners.

One owner--who was dog sitting while her daughter was in Kuwait on business--had her two pits on leashes with harnesses. They were well-behaved, and she cautioned me about approaching them. When she saw my husband start to bring my dog in, she asked me if I would mind keeping him outside because one of the pits was aggressive. I felt kind of bad for the lady because she even felt she had to tell me a bit of a fib. ("They're part boxer") I think she gets a lot of pit bull prejudice.

If so, she can partly blame the other lady. Owner #2 kicked my prejudices into high gear in the first place. She walked out of the treatment area with her 12 week old pitbull puppy under her arm like a sack of flour. She didn't have a leash for him at all, and was there to have his ears clipped "cause that makes 'em look tough." She then flicked one of the just-operated-on(!) ears several times because she didn't like the way he was standing up. After a few minutes she was tired of holding the just-operated-upon(!) puppy and put him down on the floor. To run free. He ran up to me, she yelled at him and he did nothing. He ran over to the shelf of food. She yelled at him and he did nothing. She paid and then scooped up the dog, climbed into her monster pick-up with the big tractor wheels and drove off.

There was no concern for the puppy's safety or the puppy's pain. There was no effort to restrain him, and it was clear that he was not yet trained to obey her commands. It kind of seemed that he never would be.

People like this woman get Pits because they want a mean-looking dog that will act tough. They don't bother to show the animal any love or care or consideration and voila! A mean-looking, tough dog.

I feel sorry for a lot of the pit bulls out there. It's not the dogs' fault. It's the idiots who refuse to care for them.

**P.S. My dog does not have cancer, but still costs a butt-load of money for drugs.

7 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, December 11, 2006, Blogger dolphin said...

Yep, like I always say, there's not such thing as a bad dog, but there sure are ALOT of bad owners out there.

 
At 8:09 PM, December 11, 2006, Blogger Sonia said...

poor pup :( That breaks my heart. I hate it when people like that have pets. They don't love and adore them. I just can't imagine having a puppy and not giving it all the love, affection, and training it deserves. sad :(

ps...glad your dog doesn't have cancer...and you might want to check out my Dec 10th entry missy.

 
At 8:36 PM, December 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're exactly right - it's not the dog's fault. I don't believe the dogs are ever inherently evil or mean, but they're raised that way - without any love or caring or guidance - and just like with a child raised that way, they're going to end up at least a little effed up, if not completely effed up.

That poor puppy. It makes me hurt to see people treat their animals that way.

I have a friend who's idiot neighbor only fed her puppy "from time to time" because she "wanted her to be hungry so she'll bite at trespassers." What the hell is wrong with people?

 
At 8:40 PM, December 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that's great about your dog!!

Y'know, my mom has a weimer rainer (sp?!) and they're supposed to be obedient, great guard dogs. however, hers is the most timid dog EVER.

So sure, maybe it's supposed to be an inate/instinctual thing for pit bulls to fight or be aggressive, but just like "terrible twos" with kids, it's all about who nurtures them.

 
At 1:41 AM, December 12, 2006, Blogger Justin said...

hey, its truly heartbreaking!! coz of some myths about pit bulls, they are tortured n killed by many people..

 
At 3:48 AM, December 12, 2006, Blogger Lynnster said...

Congrats on the no-cancer news... I know that's a huge relief.

As for that puppy - sigh. I hate that.

I had to smile about the first pit bull owner's obvious experience with prejudice. When my Doberman was alive, who was female and small for a Dobe anyway, if we walked into the vet's office and there were others waiting in the room there was usually this palpable freakout. She was as "vicious" as my big toe, scared to death of thunderstorms, slept curled in my lap like a cat all the time. If those people only knew. All in how you raise them, as usual.

 
At 3:52 PM, December 12, 2006, Blogger Sarah said...

I have a fantastic, adorable, beautiful 12 year old beagle/pit bull mix. Luckily, I'm a good pet mommy, or I like to think so, and she's never bit anyone. With pit bulls, as with any dog, it's about having an owner who loves the dog and not an owner who wants the dog solely for its reputation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home