16 January, 2007

Netflix Is Finally Actually NETflix

At long last, the business model the founders of Netflix dreamed of years ago has come to pass.

Starting this week, Netflix will begin to allow its subscribers a chance to view their movie choices online.

Of course, this only applies to a select few.

The Los Gatos-based company plans to unveil the new "Watch Now" feature Tuesday, but only a small number of its more than 6 million subscribers will get immediate access to the service, which is being offered at no additional charge.
Netflix expects to introduce the instant viewing system to about 250,000 more subscribers each week through June to ensure its computers can cope with the increased demand.


Of course, it doesn't work with Macs or iPods.

Blockbuster, are you paying attention?!?

6 Comments:

At 2:38 AM, January 16, 2007, Blogger Lynnster said...

It's about time. I was looking around for such service a couple of years ago and was pretty disappointed to find there was next to zilch.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how all that gets structured and priced... I watch all my DVDs on my laptop as it is, so depending on how all this winds up getting set up, this could be cool...

 
At 6:43 AM, January 16, 2007, Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

Long overdue. Seems to me they will also make a lot more money this way.

One thing I wish movie makers would start doing is making films to be specifically released on the web.

I wonder if that will be the next revolution in the industry and force studios to deal with Internet only releases for a fraction of the cost of what they spend?

 
At 8:28 AM, January 16, 2007, Blogger Rachel said...

Really, if you're a Big Ass Company Relying on Technology, is it that hard to set up the thing so it works on a Mac? Idiots.

 
At 10:33 AM, January 16, 2007, Blogger Busy Mom said...

Heh, looks like you beat me to that one, I just wrote about it, too. This will be interesting.

 
At 1:59 PM, January 18, 2007, Blogger Les Jones said...

Totally not interested, personally. I don't want to watch movies on my computer. I want to get away from the computer, sit on a comfy couch, and watch movies on a big TV screen where I can be completely immersed in the movie.

 
At 2:17 PM, January 18, 2007, Blogger Kat Coble said...

And that is why the AppleTV would complete the circle, and yet another reason NetFlix needs to work on Mac-Compatibility.

Until they do, I'm not gonna play the download game.

I imagine it'll be another 2-3 years before all the pieces are in place, but once they are, it'll be hot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home