22 January, 2007

Nevermind. I Lied. But I Have To Say This To Ned (and others)

Dear Ned Williams:

You and I are supposedly from the same side of the ideological aisle. Yet as I read this post you wrote today I find myself wondering if we are truly concerned about the same things.

You see, when I speak of "sanctity of life", I'm talking about valuing everyone equally. Unborn babies, mothers of unborn babies, my next door neighbours with the annoying dogs. It's important to me that the only sanctioned killing we do is as consequence for criminal behaviour. Yet I do understand the circumstances that lead to a woman's need for abortion as an option. I've decided that the way for me to express "sanctity of life" is to work hard to alleviate the circumstances out of which the need for an abortion arises. That's my belief in a nutshell, and you can feel free to argue the finer points of that all you like.

My problem with your approach is that you've taken a very personal, very human situation and turned it into partisan bluster. Your post is called "Why rally for life". Silly me to expect you to say something about the actual LIVES involved. Instead you, like most others on both sides of this issue, talk a great deal about the political expediency of your political position. It's as though your Sanctity of Life position is less about life and more about scoring points in your political gamesmanship. Not once in 6 paragraphs do you actually talk about the lives in question. Instead there is much talk about "Democrats this" and "African-Americans/Blacks that". It's more of that talk show bluster that betrays a complete lack of interest in actual solutions, and instead pummels away at The Opposition while ignoring the humanity all around it.

Perhaps someday you may realise that behind all of this slouching toward goalposts there is a 14 year old girl who thought he really would love her if she just did what he wanted and is now facing the scariest choice a person could make. An actual living, breathing 14 year old girl who could really use a glimpse at the face of Jesus.

3 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, January 22, 2007, Blogger Slartibartfast said...

You're on fire today, Kat!

I've been slowly writing a "why I am a conservative" magnum opus post. I keep skipping over this subject, because in any conversation about it, I can't stay at the macro for long; I will always steer the conversation to the micro.

And that just ain't too political, so "conservative", as we know it, doesn't fit.

I've had it with activists from both sides who treat all things as a political game. I just can't say it as well as you. Bravo!

 
At 2:02 PM, January 22, 2007, Blogger ned said...

Kat,
I have responded to your comment over on my blog, so I'll just link to it (here). I don't think that anything you said here changes my answer to any great degree, except to say that I have been in the shoes of a teenage boy facing a crisis pregnancy so my views have not been formed merely by reading or hearing what others have to say about the subject or merely what I can conceive on the matter.

 
At 3:37 PM, January 22, 2007, Blogger grandefille said...

I've decided that the way for me to express "sanctity of life" is to work hard to alleviate the circumstances out of which the need for an abortion arises.

Bless you, ma'am.

Also, amen and amen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home