06 September, 2005

Weird Tuesday Observations

Apparently everyone in Nashville watched a Kelly McGillis movie this weekend. What virus is in our water?

Ethel Merman freaks out my dog. Whenever "Your The Top" comes on my iTunes he goes haywire.

One of my anonymous commenters doesn't like Quentin Tarantino. I feel like a jerk for thinking that he is one of the icons of post-modern American cinema.

Goddard, my robot vacuum has become more high maintenance than my real dogs. He seems to need constant reassurance.

Patrick & Lydia are selling a John The Baptist bobblehead doll on eBay. This means that at one point in time they somehow went out of their way to obtain a JtB bobblehead doll.

I would like a Stitch bobblehead doll.

I would also like a Charlton Heston bobblehead doll holding a tiny rifle.

I've tried really really hard, but still can't bring myself to say that I enjoy Nick Drake.

8 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, September 06, 2005, Blogger P. K. Nail said...

I think Quentin Tarantino is a genius. It's impossible for me to believe that he has only made 4 feature films, but they are all works of art, as far as I'm concerned.

 
At 7:23 PM, September 06, 2005, Blogger Kleinheider said...

Well, it's really more like 5 and 1/2. Kill Bill may have been intended as one but it was released as two so you really have to count it as two. He also directed one of the "Four Rooms" as well as portions of Sin City so I give him a half for those two ventures.

 
At 7:58 PM, September 06, 2005, Blogger John H said...

AND, he (Tarantino) wrote the script for 'True Romance' including an amazing speech by C. Walken and cool cool action with Dennis Hopper and Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette.

PLUS, he doctored up some of the script for 'Crimson Tide'..

Not everyone may like or respect him, but there are literally dozens of Tarantino wanna-bes..watch the IFC on cable and you'll see homage after homage to Q.T.

Like him or not, he IS an icon.

 
At 8:45 PM, September 06, 2005, Blogger Kleinheider said...

AND From Dusk Til Dawn. He's actually done a ot of script doctoring. Not just Tide. The Rock, I think, and many others.

 
At 9:05 PM, September 06, 2005, Blogger Kat Coble said...

I was afraid that Kill Bill would in itself unintentionally parody other QT stuff. I had read the script online and was kinda feh about the whole thing.

Then, of course, on the screen it just smacks up.

Can't wait for the Director's Cut Criterion Edition that is somewhere in the future. Hopefully not the Jetson's future.

Best MetaTarantino reference: Die Hard With A Vengence, when Bruce Willis tells Samuel L. (The Man Who Stole My Husband's Cab In Bermuda) Jackson that he's been "smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo".

I'm not a squee-er. Yet I internally squee'd at that moment.

 
At 12:38 AM, September 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

QT is a pretty hard working guy with all the stuff he's producing lately.

Kelly McGillis was the hottest ticket in the mid 80s because she was so girl-next-doorish. That's my opinion. Yes, The Accused has been done to death on SVU. Some episodes of SVU are arguably better than Accused.

If Quinn freaks out at that, wait 'till I play the Ethel Merman Disco Album!

 
At 9:50 AM, September 07, 2005, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Nothing says three day weekend like Kelly McGillis...

 
At 10:05 PM, September 07, 2005, Blogger Patrick said...

What, no bobblehead -related comments? C'mon! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home